Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
A Good Electrician
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Does anyone have a good resource for preparing a 2-week look ahead? I'm just trying to make sure I don't miss anything basic as far as the "activities" are concerned. So far I have,

Temp Power and Lighting
Overhead Layout
Overhead Racks
Overhead Conduit Rough
Floor Box Layout
Floor Box Rough
In-Wall Layout
In-Wall Rough
Lighting Layout
Lighting Rough
Panel Layout
Panel Installation
Wire-Pull
Make-up and Trim

Thank you for any other suggestion or resources that will help me create an efficient Master, 2-4 week, and Daily look ahead schedule.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Sounds like commercial work, you can be sure the GC will have a program and weekly meetings telling you when he wants stuff

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You have to meet the GC, you have to meet the other contracts!
They will specify what they want and when!

You have to coordinate your work with the other trades.

You have to assign work for your crew while your in a drawn out meeting.
Guess what in the meetings they talk about electrical last.

You should assign someone to do route daily task, break out tools, and count tools at end of the day. Gather extension cords, ETC.

You have to spot errors in framing arrangements, you have to look over other trades work to know that that you understand their arrangements, your going to have to ask for their cut sheets, if you don't have them yourself.

If commercial or lite industrial review the HVAC trunk runs to set up your home runs. I usually try to place and run above and to the back side of multiply branch runs, you have to watch the sprinkler guy because they will (seem to always) run right above the top of a can light or 2x 4 light.

Go get them involved when things go sideways and you spot things wrong.
Most GC's are just there to referee the Dance, Good Luck!

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
We do 3 week look aheads and break it down to daily activities for each week. Customers like to see them and it's a good tool to plan what tools, equipment, and material are needed. Also gives you time to get questions answered early on.

·
A Good Electrician
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CADpoint. Thank you very much! That is extremely helpful. I'm not a naturally linear thinker so it takes discipline for me to focus and be organized. I need systems. I've done well so far in my 14 years but this is my first time running 4 projects at once. Thanks again.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
CADpoint. Thank you very much! That is extremely helpful. I'm not a naturally linear thinker so it takes discipline for me to focus and be organized. I need systems. I've done well so far in my 14 years but this is my first time running 4 projects at once. Thanks again.
I think it's a good idea to put scheduling down on paper I use a three ring binder and have tasks on each page.
it's only a scheduling estimate and gets it out of your head an down on paper (less stressful operation).

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Hey Guys. Does anyone have a good resource for preparing a 2-week look ahead? I'm just trying to make sure I don't miss anything basic as far as the "activities" are concerned. So far I have,

Temp Power and Lighting
Overhead Layout
Overhead Racks
Overhead Conduit Rough
Floor Box Layout
Floor Box Rough
In-Wall Layout
In-Wall Rough
Lighting Layout
Lighting Rough
Panel Layout
Panel Installation
Wire-Pull
Make-up and Trim

Thank you for any other suggestion or resources that will help me create an efficient Master, 2-4 week, and Daily look ahead schedule.
Stick to the red carpet... there is no good way to either "LEARN" this crap...or teach it, without going through it.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts