Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the voice/data/IT business. I have done lots of network/data drops in the past on behalf of another employer. As a self employed guy, I bid on simple work that is via national platforms who represent buyers, as we call them. The work is little jobs. A Drop or two there. Perhaps some upgrades at a rack. I need to get away from this company because of how fieldnations works, the jobs never display the address, contact information or clients name. Just a basic discription and bid amount. US techs call the buyers/fieldnation "Secret shoppers" and do not want to work this way anymore.

This job is my first bid DIRECT to a electrical contractor. The contractors main LV data technican/owner has retired, so he wants to try me out.

I have a blue print with all the drops and need to know, what is the normal way you guys bid? is it per foot of cable + parts/supplies? Is the bid amount per drop amount that is averaged out over several drops? example would be 5 10 foot drops 10 20 foot drops 3 50 foot drops / quantiy of drops * dollar amount? I once came across a smaller company 30 min drive west of me. The said "we quote the same dollar amount if its 10 feet or 100 feet at 125.00 per drop.

As for quoting line items and labor, what do you all use? Excel? or bid software which I know little about other then what I found online the other day. Intellibid is one example.

I asked the electrical contractor "will each drop have a service loop?" color of jacks? and so on.

Do I need to measure the cable length in the blue prints to the patch panel or is it better to do a average length? Average seems quicker but perhaps not as accurate.

There is one floor below the main floor and two holes in the slab with existing cable. Most old cable will have to be removed from site.

I still have time as the permits are not created yet. I will be bidding against another company. Electrical contractor said I can do the entire LV install, or they can pull the cable and I can do the cable ends. will be Cat6 cable.

Thanks for your advice. Software or spreadsheet needed for parts/labor sugested.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
You should be able to calculate the lengths.

You should know how much time it will take you for the install and terminations

You should be able to figure overhead and profit (do a site erach how different methods to do this)

NEXT QUESTION

Once you have a price you can flat rate it based on distance

·
Electrical Contractor
5,519 Posts
$ 125 per drop for Cat 6 is too low. FT4 or FT6?

Here is an example from one of my subs, which should give you an indication of pricing. ( JM rate here is $36 + 10% vac/holiday) Raised computer floor

The supply and installation of AMP Category 6 FT4 cable for the new data outlets at the --- office space located on the 3rd floor
in the ------- Winnipeg, Manitoba.
This quote is based on 41 - outlet locations each having 2 - Category 6 cables each for a total of 82 - Category 6 cables being installed
for this project.
This quote includes the cable, outlets, 82 - 7ft patch cords, 41 -10ft patch cords, 2 - 48 port patch panels and 3 - horizontal cable
managements. The patch panels would be installed into the existing data rack.
This quote does not include any communication backbone cables.
This quote does not include any pathways such as, but not limited to, J-hooks, tray, conduit, cabinets, junction boxes, pull boxes, Pac
poles, innerduct, wiremold, wireways, raceway, wall or floor boxes, floor pedestals, pull strings, coring, patching or repairing any
surfaces, fire stopping, grounding or any plywood.
This quote includes the permit cost.
All necessary and relevant workplace health and safety legislation was taken into consideration when preparing this quote.
Base Cost......................................................................$16,630.00

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
You gotta start somewhere man, so go off prints or a site walk though with measurements and total points that will be terminated. Add up all material, add markup, add up all your time to your hourly rate, then add in a decent fudge factor.

Do this job and keep track of how it compares to your quote.. then see if you made too much or not enough and adjust for the next job. Eventually you'll get so good at it you can just flat rate quote a job on the spot knowing just a bit of information.

Gotta start somewhere!

·
Electrical Contractor
5,519 Posts
Yor.

see if you made too much or not enough and adjust for the next job. ation.

!
Never ever, have I made too much:laughing:
And if you got the job and 'made too much', why adjust ?
If it works, don't change it

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now, creating the spread sheet.

Software would of course make it much smoother with less chance for making mistakes.

I have never timed my self pulling cable. But I do recall when doing a major WIFI upgrade for a mall me and another tech would pull between 3-5 thousand feet of cable, terminate test and label in two days.

·
Spaghetti Cleaner
928 Posts
By myself I average about 50 minutes per location, 60 if it's a double run.

I've done them as fast as 30 minutes when multiple locations are involved.

Add more time of you have to install J hooks, innerduct, sleeves, fire caulk, move furniture, etc.....

Most people I come across bill by location, I prefer T&M since there can be too many variables.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is southern MASS a pricy place to live/work?

I believe for cat 6 terminated at both ends our shop is in the $380 ball park. It's usually priced per drop. The lengths average out.
Vancouver is also one of those places, that everything is out of proportion with the rest of Canada and the US. Hopefully the uber rich chinese will stop buying our properties and go some where else.

What did you mark up your parts at? Do you base it on per foot then average it out?

I will be at the site probebly monday to take a look at it. See how large the holes are in the concrete slab. Most cable needs to be removed, and installed with new cable. Will use old cable to pull in new cable. Goverment office so all quality hardware. I may consider the electricans offer and he pull in the cable and I will terminate it.

As for a concract agreement, I do not have one to get paid. Anyone have a copy that I could use?

Do all of you get paid after the job is complete for a new client? or ask for payment up front for supplies and paid the rest of the ballance at the end of the installation?

·
Electrical Contractor
5,519 Posts
Government office, check your specifications very closely. They usually need you to submit your verification report along with the manufacturer's 25 years warranty. They also specify the wire and jack colors along with which brand of cable is allowed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.