Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ideal non contact voltage tester said a 14-2 was dead, so I clipped it where the monkeys working on this flip attacked the wire with a sawzall and this happened. Bought these lineman's for $40 yesterday....

Guess its time for a fluke tester. :(

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Going_Commando said:
My ideal non contact voltage tester said a 14-2 was dead, so I clipped it where the monkeys working on this flip attacked the wire with a sawzall and this happened. Bought these lineman's for $40 yesterday....

Guess its time for a fluke tester. :(
My rule of thumb, treat it like it's hot anyway and use your cheapest cutters when doing so.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
I had a fluke that would do the same thing.

Rub it on your arm, light up and beep like mad. Immediately test with it, and it was hit and miss.

Almost as bad as using a lightbulb and clips. Works great if the bulb is good, but do you trust it?:laughing:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, right? Next time I'll just bring the hot stick and pull the cut out feeding the street. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back to old faithful I suppose. 4 years and some nicks from cutting bolts and crap.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I have the main killed and am using a toner for circuit tracing. Can't trust my tester anymore. Suuuck.

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts
Now I have the main killed and am using a toner for circuit tracing. Can't trust my tester anymore. Suuuck.
You can't trust that particular tester.....use another one and/or style...I can't imagine dumping a hi-rise to change one outlet :D

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can't trust that particular tester.....use another one and/or style...I can't imagine dumping a hi-rise to change one outlet :D
Its not a high rise, its a flip getting a reno with a bunch of Romex and uf hanging from the ceiling where walls were ripped out. I also have a wiggy and have been using that too, but I think this was a homeowner wire job as there is no rhyme nor reason as to wire routing and circuiting. Most of the place is still finished Sheetrock, so that makes things tougher still, plus the monkeys hung new Sheetrock and mudded/taped already before I could get back here. Driving me crazy! There is going to be one heck of a bill for this job by the time I'm done. All t&m.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
If I was a homeowner I am not so sure I would pay you right away. You really do not seem to know what you are doing.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I was a homeowner I am not so sure I would pay you right away. You really do not seem to know what you are doing.
Whatever lifts your skirt up, darlin'. I'm sorry you don't approve of my methods "whitepants" Sabrina. I'm sure you would do so much better with wires hanging from the ceiling, nicked Romex in the ceiling and a bunch of new Sheetrock up with no way of knowing what was there before. I bow down before your obviously superior methods.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts