Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that I have previously mentioned something about my wife wanting to re-model the kitchen and such. It has graduated to a full scale tear out of ceiling and drywall and relocation of all appliances. That does sound like a lot but it is not really that big of a project. I have a 200 amp service and plenty of power to spare but decided to install a sub panel for possible future work because of no spare breaker capabilities. I pulled a permit because I feel comfortable with having the inspection authority involved. Would you have done that?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I'm actually in the middle of the same thing... unfortunately... and no I haven't pulled a permit.

You are an electrician, doing work on your own home... are you really gonna eff it up?

My wife questioned me about the need for a permit "in case we ever sell the house" .... Do you really think a "whole house inspector" is gonna question anything as long as his little receptacle checker shows the right lights?

Pete

Reactions: backstay

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
It's your call on the sub. It's also your call on the inspection(s). And a full gut and re-do is often the only way to go - trying to save walls and sheetrock and re-use existing stuff turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
What? listen to my wife? Never!
:laughing: I HEAR YA BUDDY!
I'm actually in the middle of the same thing... unfortunately... and no I haven't pulled a permit.

You are an electrician, doing work on your own home... are you really gonna eff it up?

My wife questioned me about the need for a permit "in case we ever sell the house" .... Do you really think a "whole house inspector" is gonna question anything as long as his little receptacle checker shows the right lights?

Pete
:lol: Now thats what I talking about. :laughing: I pulled a permit on mine when I upgraded the service, mostly just out of habit, but the whole "what if we sell" conversation came up. I try to play by the rules as best as i can, but I really didn't need to.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Most code enforcement is report initiated, meaning that they act on tips. All it takes is one pissed off neighbor to make one call and you are facing large fines, ripping wall board off one side of every wall and reinstalling everything.

something to think about... and never listen to your wife.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
five.five-six said:
Most code enforcement is report initiated, meaning that they act on tips. All it takes is one pissed off neighbor to make one call and you are facing large fines, ripping wall board off one side of every wall and reinstalling everything. something to think about... and never listen to your wife.
What part of SoCal are you in?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Just curious, if you are the only inspector in your town, if you pull a permit.

Would you inspect your own stuff?

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Pete
I guess my wake up call was my next door neighbor's house burning very badly. The insurance company sent three different forensic electrical engineers at different times to finally get what they wanted...someone to share the financial responsibility. They determined that it was caused by an upstairs bath exhaust fan installed by a "retired" electrician friend of his.....by the way, not me.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most code enforcement is report initiated, meaning that they act on tips. All it takes is one pissed off neighbor to make one call and you are facing large fines, ripping wall board off one side of every wall and reinstalling everything.

something to think about... and never listen to your wife.
The first fine here is $1000,00. AND, my wife could care less about a permit. She rarely gives me permission.:thumbsup:

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
: I pulled a permit on mine when I upgraded the service,
:laughing:

I pulled one for the kitchen redo, passed rough over a year ago and I blew off final. I never pulled one for the new service on my house..poco was sleeping that day.:no:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I redid my kitchen without a permit.

I don't trust those baxtards, Im sure I would have failed.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yeah, I probably didn't need to for my service, but whatever, better safe than sorry.

As a side note, does anybody else have "code enforcement" people drive around in their area? Ive never seen one of them bust in on somebody, but I guess they must do it enough to justify them keeping their job.

They drive around in little white cars that look like them came from the impound lot with a "CODE ENFORCEMENT" magnet on the side. Eyeballing everybody.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.