Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
I use a "dead on" tool belt. It is full size on both sides. I like to have a decent size belt as I use a variety of tools. I hate this thing. The adjustable belt often expands when it wants to. And the velcro is always failing me. Reccomendations!!!
Get a toolbox, or you'll be facing the same as me, I was just diagnosed with a bulging disk. I couldn't figure out why it was so painful to get out of bed. The Dr smiled and said, welcome to asking to much from your back for too long.

Until a year ago, I was the same guy with all the tools one my belt, now I struggle to even pick up the paper every morning.

Just my advice to you. I wish I had listened to all those fine journeymen that I trained under through the years. Hopefully it is heal-able and they caught it in time for me to be able to work in comfort again.

Best of luck on that tool belt idea.

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
Wear a belt but don't load it right down. I see a lot of guys say they won't wear a belt because it is bad for them. Meanwhile their gut looks like they are smuggling a basketball.

I would consider myself lucky if I had that basketball counterweight at the front. I did however last a few years longer wearing a belt by sliding everything around backwards towards my back.

Did the Dr. Attribute your back condition to the tool belt? I obviously want to protect my body for future use but its highly impractical for me to work without a belt. I guess I'm searching for a modest in-between. Just imagining the Dr saying, "welcome to asking too much of your back" ticks me off. The human body is capable of quite a bit. A propely worn belt should be a burden it can bear. I can deadlift 500 lbs. I imagine I can handle wearing a toolbelt 8 hrs a day. Stretching helps a lot too. Maybe you felt the same though when you were a 27 year old whippersnapper. Get that back better!
Yup, I did it mainly with the belt. I just had to have everything at my finger tips ready to roll. I now own a little garden wagon to cart things to and from the truck, but they are a bitch to drag up the ladder into attics. (jk :laughing: )

Hopefully if things work out I will be able to wear a lightened version with suspenders. (I was thinking or those ones that Mork wore on Mork and Mindy)

Try many belts on, Shunk i believe has the right idea and I will be looking into the same this year to see if it will work for my back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.