Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Stop using a tool belt and use your back pockets. This problem will magically go away. :thumbsup:
How do you fit a Large flat screwdriver, small flat screwdriver, needle nose pliers, utility knife, wire strippers, hammer, #1 Robertson, #2 Robertson, torpedo level, and a cycling crimper in your back pocket? :whistling2:

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Did the Dr. Attribute your back condition to the tool belt? I obviously want to protect my body for future use but its highly impractical for me to work without a belt. I guess I'm searching for a modest in-between. Just imagining the Dr saying, "welcome to asking too much of your back" ticks me off.
I bought this setup (one identical to it) in 1968. The belt and pouch have been replaced due to wear but the tools remain the same. This is a pic of my current setup but it's the same as in '68 except I replaced a screwdriver tester (neon light?) with the volt stick.

Wore it yesterday. My back is fine.

Edit:

Actually all the tools have been changed except maybe the channel locks. The hammer is pretty old. But you get the picture. Right? I still have the old hammer but it was 20 oz. Knocked 4 ounces off it with the 16 oz hammer shown maybe 15 years ago.

·
Estwing magic
27,429 Posts
Nothing's perfect. Industrial work killed the tool belt idea for me and there's no going back. Right now I use this and carry the necessary tools in my overalls or coveralls. If I go up a ladder I can throw the bag over my shoulder. Besides that, I don't need a tool pouch full of tools banging and clanging on expensive millwork and countertops.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was really fond of Klein's powerline pouch. I don't use two pouches, I've never had the need. The guy that I first started working for used that sort of belt and a nail apron. I don't remember what he carried, that was a while back. I don't know how people work like that or why.

I like the powerline since I can also toss my M12 impact driver in. It also had room for more or less tools as needed. Now that they've started making them far cheaper I have to find a new pouch. I still haven't found a suitable replacement.

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
Just recently swapped from a full set of saddlebags loaded with every tool I've ever owned, to the Occidental 5053 butt pouch with linesman's, *****/needle nose depending on the day's work, razor knife, sniffer, a small ideal clamp meter, and an 11-in-1. If I'm roughing in I add the 77cent cheapo depot canvas apron and a hammer in the hammer loop of my pants. My back has already improved. I was a fan of the saddlebags and suspenders for the first thirteen years in the trade, not so much anymore. To each their own.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Clc pouch with suspenders. I have alot of the optional accessories to carry just about everything. However I rarely do. My thought process is my tools shouldn't be on the floor if im not working on the floor. So I really only strap it on when im working off of a ladder. Even then I usually end up doing the same thing all day so 3 to 4 tools are efficient to get the job done. We are on a commercial job with pleanty of tool carts. So out of 15 electricians and another 3, 4 apprentices zero wear a toolbelt.

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
Wear a belt but don't load it right down. I see a lot of guys say they won't wear a belt because it is bad for them. Meanwhile their gut looks like they are smuggling a basketball.

I would consider myself lucky if I had that basketball counterweight at the front. I did however last a few years longer wearing a belt by sliding everything around backwards towards my back.

Did the Dr. Attribute your back condition to the tool belt? I obviously want to protect my body for future use but its highly impractical for me to work without a belt. I guess I'm searching for a modest in-between. Just imagining the Dr saying, "welcome to asking too much of your back" ticks me off. The human body is capable of quite a bit. A propely worn belt should be a burden it can bear. I can deadlift 500 lbs. I imagine I can handle wearing a toolbelt 8 hrs a day. Stretching helps a lot too. Maybe you felt the same though when you were a 27 year old whippersnapper. Get that back better!
Yup, I did it mainly with the belt. I just had to have everything at my finger tips ready to roll. I now own a little garden wagon to cart things to and from the truck, but they are a bitch to drag up the ladder into attics. (jk :laughing: )

Hopefully if things work out I will be able to wear a lightened version with suspenders. (I was thinking or those ones that Mork wore on Mork and Mindy)

Try many belts on, Shunk i believe has the right idea and I will be looking into the same this year to see if it will work for my back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was using a set of Dottie's with the dead on canvas pouch on the back. Worked alright aside from the dead on dividers tearing. My mother got me the GatorBack electrician combo (with comfy comfy suspenders). I can't give a straight answer on the functionability until this cast comes off my broke hand.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.