Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a job that came about when the customers well pump quit working. He thought the underground wire to his well house was bad, so he replaced it with 14-2 Romex in 1/2" black poly buried 6" deep. The pump still didn't work. So then he called the local pump company. They took one look at and told him he needed an electrician. Here's what I saw when I showed up:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It turns out one leg of the Zinsco breaker was bad. You can see from the pics he has everything tapped from one buss to try and get it to work. Sorry, but 240v doesn't work that way.:whistling2:

Fortunately, they had another service next door I could string a cord from to get the well working until I figured out what do with this mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
So, do people who live in a place like that, with equipment in that kind of dis-repair actually have enough money to pay for a new service and well pump feeder? I just imagine they were flat broke. Any friction from them about the scope of work or pricing for the job? Did you collect on the spot?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, do people who live in a place like that, with equipment in that kind of dis-repair actually have enough money to pay for a new service and well pump feeder?
Honestly, I have no idea what their financial status is.

I just imagine they were flat broke. Any friction from them about the scope of work or pricing for the job?
They squirmed when I gave them a rough ballpark cost for just the metermain and mast. I didn't even give them a price on the run to the wellpump as I wasn't sure how involved it was going to get.

Fortunately the couple who owned this had a son-in-law talk them into hiring us because even he could tell the wiring they had been doing just wasn't safe.

Did you collect on the spot?
No, we always mail a bill. This wasn't a quote, all T&M, so I don't even know the job cost until our office guy works it up. There was no way to quote this job because there was so much wrong with it, I wasn't sure what the inspector was going to call me on when I called for final.

It still isn't perfect, but it's much better and safer than it was.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Nice clean up. Only thing I would have done differently was, COD when complete. A credit card deposit to start.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
typical farm/mobil;e home conglomeration, except for the new fuses!:whistling2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts