Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have all heard someone swear "it's in the code, I just don't know where". People mistake something they were told by their first Journeyman for being a code requirement. Or something from a job spec years ago. What are some of the myths you have heard people swear we're code requirements?

As a first year apprentice, I was told the NEC required to label all j box covers in the field. I later found out it was a job spec.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Black, Red, Blue
Brown, Yellow, Orange and one electrician argued YBO was against the NEC it had to be BOY
The state of WI actually has a "recommended" color code for 277/480 and 120/208V. Now, what "recommended" actually means, I guess that's up to you.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Cannot put a panel within 6' of a "water source"........ :censored:
If there is no metal rebar in your slab, you need to put a 20 length of 1/2" rebar in the footing before the pour and tie the ground wire to it.:jester:
2nd ground rod cannot be any further than 6' from the first.:eek:

Those were told to me by inspectors........

·
Registered
83 Posts
#14 is not allowed in commercial or industrial, except for controls.
In what situation would you run #14s in commercial or industrial? This is definetely something I thought was in the code. Maybe it's a local thing. All branch circuits we pull are at least #12

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
277-volt lighting is cheaper to run than 120-volt lighting.
Factoring total installation and lifetime operational costs I would guess that one is probably true. Ohms laws are great stuffs, but you can put easily twice as many fixtures onto one circuit with 277 v. Less wire to run.

note- BBQ, Wendon, Big John, et al, I said guess, it is highlighted. Google won't mind if you let them rest for a while....

Reactions: BuzzKill
1 - 20 of 120 Posts