Electrician Talk banner

Nail gun

1166 25
So this isn't electrical related, but I thought I'd draw on the vast personal experience here.
Last week I was chatting with our son (21 year old working in a wood truss/post manufacturing shop), and he told us that on Wednesday, a coworker shot an air nailer at him, from across the shop. A 2" nail missed him by about a couple of feet. When our son looked and went WTH. the guy gave him the middle finger salute.
Our son talked to his supervisor, and the guy said "noted" and brought it up in a tool box meeting on Monday. Basically he said "Oh yeah, and don't shoot nail guns at anyone.". We talked to our son, and he wasn't too satisfied with this, so he brought it up to HR, who did some follow-up and the guy that shot the nail gun got written up and is now pissed at our son. He said he shouldn't have reported it and it was sn accident.

What are some thoughts on what happened?

When he initially told me about it,I said the guy would be picking up his teeth off the floor if he shot it at me, then i would go tell the boss what i did and why i did it. We discussed what it took to be able to shoot a nail without the gun being pressed against wood. That, to me, shows intent.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,613 Posts
If the guy isn't fired immediately then your son needs to leave. This is assault with a weapon.
File a complaint with the Canadian equilavant of OSHA or with the police department. You will need witnesses.

Long ago a buddy of mine made cash by doing roof nail offs for piece work. I saw him stick nails in lumber and plywood at over 300 feet. Pretty sure that is enough velocity to break the skin.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, at least I know I'm not out to lunch with my thinking. He was feeling bad for going to HR about it. I sent him a link on what a "high potential near miss" is and explained to him the seriousness of it.
I also told what I've been saying for years - life is about choices and consequences. This one employee made a choice and now apparently is not happy with the consequences of his actions.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,813 Posts
They need to fix that nail gun, it shouldn’t have fired unless the safety is broken.

Had a coworker get shot in the stomach a couple years ago. He was lucky and was only off a few months. The guy who shot him said it was an accident also.

·
Hackenschmidt
14,026 Posts
Last week I was chatting with our son (21 year old working in a wood truss/post manufacturing shop), and he told us that on Wednesday, a coworker shot an air nailer at him, from across the shop. A 2" nail missed him by about a couple of feet. When our son looked and went WTH. the guy gave him the middle finger salute.
1. Coworker is a douchebag
Our son talked to his supervisor, and the guy said "noted" and brought it up in a tool box meeting on Monday. Basically he said "Oh yeah, and don't shoot nail guns at anyone.".
2. Supervisor is also a douchebag, and probably friendly with the coworker, the supervisor is probably the bigger problem.
We talked to our son, and he wasn't too satisfied with this, so he brought it up to HR, who did some follow-up and the guy that shot the nail gun got written up and is now pissed at our son. He said he shouldn't have reported it and it was sn accident.
3. HR is ineffectual and / or indifferent; the coworker wasn't sufficiently scared by the write-up.

I'd ask to be switched to a different crew and think hard about if this company is that special to work at, it's easy to find work for the time being.

I'd warn your son there's a good chance this isn't over, and think ahead to how he'll respond. For example, don't get goaded into an assault or something that will get him fired and possibly arrested. If one douchebag lies and the other swears to it, it could go badly for your son.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They need to fix that nail gun, it shouldn’t have fired unless the safety is broken.

Had a coworker get shot in the stomach a couple years ago. He was lucky and was only off a few months. The guy who shot him said it was an accident also.
Talking to our son, he says the safety switch on the nail guns work and he's not aware of one that's broken.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

2. Supervisor is also a douchebag, and probably friendly with the coworker, the supervisor is probably the bigger problem.

3. HR is ineffectual and / or indifferent; the coworker wasn't sufficiently scared by the write-up.

I'd ask to be switched to a different crew and think hard about if this company is that special to work at, it's easy to find work for the time being.

I'd warn your son there's a good chance this isn't over, and think ahead to how he'll respond. For example, don't get goaded into an assault or something that will get him fired and possibly arrested. If one douchebag lies and the other swears to it, it could go badly for your son.
I've talked to him a bit about it, but will definitely make sure he's knows to avoid this douchecanoe as much as possible, without ignoring him and being an ass to him at work. Our son is a lead hand there, so I'd expect a bit of interaction between the two, but nothing more than work related.

·
Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
223 Posts
I have a Hitachi and just bought a new Metabo. You can pull the safety back to make it fire in the air.

I personally think the guy did not mean to hit your son. He was just goofing off, If it only happen once, I would leave it at what the boss told him.
From a distance it will do little damage unless of course it hits an eye. Now close up is a different story.

Most people learn from their mistakes.

(Incidentially Metabo bought Hitachi. My new Metabo is exactly like my 20 year old Hitachi.)

·
Premium Member
Professional Engineer (MD, VA, DC, DE) and licensed Master electrician (DE and MD)
146 Posts
So this isn't electrical related, but I thought I'd draw on the vast personal experience here.
Our son talked to his supervisor, and the guy said "noted" and brought it up in a tool box meeting on Monday. Basically he said "Oh yeah, and don't shoot nail guns at anyone.". We talked to our son, and he wasn't too satisfied with this, so he brought it up to HR, who did some follow-up and the guy that shot the nail gun got written up and is now pissed at our son. He said he shouldn't have reported it and it was sn accident.

What are some thoughts on what happened?

When he initially told me about it,I said the guy would be picking up his teeth off the floor if he shot it at me, then i would go tell the boss what i did and why i did it. We discussed what it took to be able to shoot a nail without the gun being pressed against wood. That, to me, shows intent.
.... and this is why you learn how to fight as a young man. Take martial arts classes when you're young and then stay in shape for your entire career. I recall incidents where folks did stuff behind my back, directed at belittling and embarrassing me, and if I wasn't able to confront the individual I'm sure the behavior would have continued.
I'd have been in your camp on this one, and I would have waited for the guy after work.

·
Estwing magic
27,922 Posts
I've talked to him a bit about it, but will definitely make sure he's knows to avoid this douchecanoe as much as possible, without ignoring him and being an ass to him at work. Our son is a lead hand there, so I'd expect a bit of interaction between the two, but nothing more than work related.
So this guy shot a nail at a lead hand and then gave him the single finger salute? Must be the owner’s kid if he still has a job.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.... and this is why you learn how to fight as a young man. Take martial arts classes when you're young and then stay in shape for your entire career. I recall incidents where folks did stuff behind my back, directed at belittling and embarrassing me, and if I wasn't able to confront the individual I'm sure the behavior would have continued.
I'd have been in your camp on this one, and I would have waited for the guy after work.
It took a bit of encouragement, but last year my son and I finished a 10 year journey and got our black belts in Taekwon Do. I know he has the know how to defend himself, if it elevated to a physical level.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,813 Posts
Talking to our son, he says the safety switch on the nail guns work and he's not aware of one that's broken.
If the safety wasn’t broken then the coworker is a bigger a$$hole for bypassing it.
There are bigger problems at that company if people can play games like that.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
3,037 Posts

Excellent use of the word Douchebag,
And agreed on all points.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
At a local cabinet shop the nailguns apparently been modified to shoot anytime, & workers would shoot nails at each other for fun, someone got hit in the eye & a lawsuit was filed against shop & the vendor who modified the guns, I do not know the outcome of the suit, but my policy with nailguns is treat them like a firearm & never point them at anyone.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,850 Posts
As long as we're off-topic, I was a carpenter for about 15 years, mostly framing but some finish as well. I was at a get-together with some friends (yes, I have friends.......sheesh) and one of them asked me how many nails I've shop with nail guns. I'm pretty sure the figure would be close to 1,000,000.

Seems like a LOT of nails but I'd bet it's true.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts