Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys use a nail on box as a splice box/junction box in an attic? Is this a code violation?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
The best splicebox for attics. No connectors to tighten. I go up there with a hammer and dikes, wagos, and a few staples. I use the quick clip boxes so i push the plate screws in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked because one of my former employers said he failed an inspection because the inspector said a nail on box is considered a device box and not a junction box. Where I work now they use nail ons and have never had any issues. I am used to using four squares myself.

·
277 Posts
We've used them before in attics but typically we use 4 squares. That's an interesting point about device vs junction box.

Are there any listings for what can be used as a junction only box?

What if you remove a device, leave a splice, and blank cover the single gang box?

Is that unacceptable? I don't think so

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Done it more times than I can count. When was the last time you saw an inspector in an attic? If they can't see it the can't call it and if they don't call it, it's not a violation.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I asked because one of my former employers said he failed an inspection because the inspector said a nail on box is considered a device box and not a junction box. Where I work now they use nail ons and have never had any issues. I am used to using four squares myself.
That inspector has no business inspecting a flashlight for correct wiring, let alone a house.

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
..... the blank faceplates for nail on boxes are not as sturdy as the 4'' plastic blank covers for the bakelite or blue 4'' square ones, so you are doing hack work again. How many times I got to straighten you ... out........:thumbsup:

·
277 Posts
I always use the unbreakable, so it's all good!

Around here, the homeowners prefer ivory because they all have that odd, dated Midwestern taste. Attic j box gotta match!

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
.... the blank faceplates for nail on boxes are not as sturdy as the 4'' plastic blank covers for the bakelite or blue 4'' square ones, so you are doing hack work again. How many times I got to straighten you ... out........:thumbsup:
I use those hard gray plastic Carlon handy box covers whenever I use a single gang nail on for a junction box. It's way less hack than using a phenolic plate.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I'd love to see the code reference on that. (what a bunch of horse crap)

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
I'd love to see the code reference on that. (what a bunch of horse crap)
This is what a lot of inspectors enjoy doing. I bet at Mike Holt they would mostly agree with your inspector after ten pages of debate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts