Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i did a flush mount panel swap today and everything was going well until I put the new panel up to the wall. Crap, the cavity is too narrow by 3/8 of an inch or so. The Sawzall is missing. Does a crappy job anyway.

I had to resort to a 1 1/2" spade bit up one side of the cavity. Looked like the moon when I was done. But the swap turned out great, and the boss is happy.

Do any of you have an efficient method for widening such a space? I was thinking about a planer. Any ideas other than tearing out the wall?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
The sawzall aimed on 45° angles away from panel outline work for me every time.

·
Premium Member
19,996 Posts
...and save yourself 4 cents in materials and ninety seconds of your time.
I think the old panel was 14" wide, made for 2" wide 2x4s, new ones are 14-1/2" made to fit between studs that are 1-1/2".
I plan for it on older houses. Sometimes they just scab a piece on next to the panel to hold it in place. I like finding those. Otherwise, I cut out the whole stud and move it over enough to fit the new one in place and screw it to the drywall or whatever the finish is.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
While I don't do much resi any more....I have run into this once or twice before. I always liked using a flat bottomed forstener bit.

I usually used my 3.5" forstener and sank it into the 2"x4" as many times as necessary.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.