Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dust inside a 240v fuse block, it was in use btw:

This thing was a monster. The door weighed as much as a modern replacement.:laughing:

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
if they still made those, id put one in my house. fuses are far superior when installed correctly

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
TOOL_5150 said:
if they still made those, id put one in my house. fuses are far superior when installed correctly

How do you install a fuse incorrectly? Isn't every product better when installed correctly? I don't get your logic. Are you also sold on sodium light fixtures and rubber coated conductors?

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
How do you install a fuse incorrectly? Isn't every product better when installed correctly? I don't get your logic. Are you also sold on sodium light fixtures and rubber coated conductors?
incorrectly: 30A fuse on #14
correctly: 30A fuse on #10

Sodium fixtures suck, rubber coated conductors are stupid, but a fuse will open every time, weather it be new or 60 years old, a circuit breaker is mechanical, and have a lot more points of failure. Thats my point.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
AFCI's are a waste of money, i install em, but not in my house. we need to back to the bare knife switches too... population control.

·
Registered
694 Posts
An old electrician friend of mine use to say fuses are better because sooner or later the home owner would have to go to town to buy more.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AFCI's are a waste of money, i install em, but not in my house.
I installed them in my house on the old 1946 two wire circuits, before I rewired everything. I've read contradictory information about whether they are any good at this though.

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
I thought i was the only pro fuse person here .

My cabin will have fuses & 12 gauge

A bad DOG

A Fearless Owner . With a well defended property line .

You want to check if i have AFCI's

Thought not .

Pete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts