Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably the single worst power company ever. Anyone have any NG horror stories to tell?

Besides their complete lack of customer service, we're also paying 20 cents a Kw/hr now too. :eek:

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
No but we had a POCO say to us on a Friday night: "you only booked a disconnect, you will need to call at 9am on Monday to book a reconnect" then the a-hole rang the lineman and said "under no circumstances reconnect" as the lineman said "buy me a coffee and Ill just hang around why you put the new switchgear in".

There had been a communication breakdown from our PM as to why the reconnect wasnt booked, apparently there is a bit of history between them and our company and the supervisor wanted to make a point.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Probably the single worst power company ever. Anyone have any NG horror stories to tell?

Besides their complete lack of customer service, we're also paying 20 cents a Kw/hr now too. :eek:
National Grid can keep the lights on and aren't to bad. They serve upstate new York, Mass and Rhode Island well. Not like a municipal but I can think of worse.

Con Edison and CL&P are two that really suck out loud. Con Ed has some of the most antiquated equipment a person can see. Voltage drop is a huge issue in a good chunk of their networks serving neighborhood boroughs.
Their transmission system is in need dire need an overhaul capacity wise, as well as most of the networks serving the 5 boroughs. Con ed has mediocre customer service as a compliment. I don't think they care:no:

CL&P cant keep the lights on. They suck at it. The scary part is they have invested millions to automate their distribution system and tossing fuses on every lateral, but do nothing to actually address what cause the outages in the first place.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Could not imagine living under coned...the horror stories abound of their buried wiring systems in the tunnels of the city....very antiquated like someone said

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,717 Posts

Hell thats a sweet deal. I would love to be paying 20 cents a KW/hr

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I had gigs with multiple area pocos in Vt and surrounding states.

It's usually the larger ones that have little in the way of customer service, where the smaller ones seem to

~CS~

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I work for them and feel your pain. You should see them try to organize a storm restoration effort
Compared to CL&P I think NG did a good job. Yahhh, not perfect, but trust me when I say some have it worse. Those with municipals however are the luckiest bar none. I envy them.

·
Can't Remember
10,434 Posts
Not sure what they were like before all the mergers, etc. When I call, they show quickly, the guys are decent to work with, no whining, and they get it done. I don't care who they are owned by, just hope things continue the way it is. One of the better experiences in this trade around here.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I only have 1 bad story with NG.
Customer lost a neutral on a ug service, by the time they called me NG had run temp service.
I booked in for disco/reco.
So day of I am waiting for the crew to remove their temp, 9:00 comes and goes, I call, yes I am booked for today, 11:00 comes and goes, I'm running out of work so I call them again, "I'm sorry I don't know what's going on, let me call you back", they never call me back
Inspection is due around 12 so I say f this and disco myself and left it as safe as I could on the ground.
Inspection passes around 1, start back filling, still no call from NG.
I call again around 3:30, they still have no idea where the crew is. I know the call center leaves at 4:00 so if I don't have an answer now, my customer could be screwed.
After talking to a supervisor he promises me that someone will be by to reconnect - I don't believe him.
So I take my time and finish around 4:30-5:00, told the customer what is going on, told him about the live wires on the ground and placed cones around it and that I've done everything I can do, call me if they do or don't turn up and we'll work something else out.
I get a text 7:00, NG has finally connected his service.....
All this and on the day of the open neutral the customers 4yo son was bitten in the face by the neighbors dog.
I did everything I could do and they screwed me big time, but that's the only time, usually they are fine

·
Registered
425 Posts
Auselect said:
I only have 1 bad story with NG. Customer lost a neutral on a ug service, by the time they called me NG had run temp service. I booked in for disco/reco. So day of I am waiting for the crew to remove their temp, 9:00 comes and goes, I call, yes I am booked for today, 11:00 comes and goes, I'm running out of work so I call them again, "I'm sorry I don't know what's going on, let me call you back", they never call me back Inspection is due around 12 so I say f this and disco myself and left it as safe as I could on the ground. Inspection passes around 1, start back filling, still no call from NG. I call again around 3:30, they still have no idea where the crew is. I know the call center leaves at 4:00 so if I don't have an answer now, my customer could be screwed. After talking to a supervisor he promises me that someone will be by to reconnect - I don't believe him. So I take my time and finish around 4:30-5:00, told the customer what is going on, told him about the live wires on the ground and placed cones around it and that I've done everything I can do, call me if they do or don't turn up and we'll work something else out. I get a text 7:00, NG has finally connected his service..... All this and on the day of the open neutral the customers 4yo son was bitten in the face by the neighbors dog. I did everything I could do and they screwed me big time, but that's the only time, usually they are fine
And by the way, this was on a Friday

1 - 20 of 39 Posts