Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I'm Devyn, new to this forums and also new to the wonderful world of electrians. I'm still trying to figure out a lot to this website, but I just really wanted to conversate with electrians who have been doing this longer then me and have much experience. First question is, if anyone can answer is;

What do I need to go through to transfer from navy electrian to a civilian electrian?

I still have 3 years left of the navy so I'm not in a rush or anything, but I like to be prepared and know as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
First Devyn, welcome to ET and thanks for your service.

All your EM basic training will aply to civilian life.

So will the leadership skills, communication, safety training, ability to function under pressure, interaction with your peers etc.

I would say place most of your spare time on advancing in the military and then picking up a text on residential wiring (Mullen is great), commercial wiring, industrial wiring, Soares grounding and bonding.

Then read through the NEC, but remember it's a reference book, not a study guide.

If you do all that, you will be welcomed with open arms by any EC when you enter civilian life.:thumbsup:

·
13,020 Posts
My current apprentice is a former Navy electrician. When he got out, he just went down to the apprenticeship office and did all the application stuff like everyone else. His military experience was helpful during the application and interview process, and you should emphasize it. He is in the process of getting some of his Navy experience approved for credit toward his apprenticeship hours but generally your time in the Navy will not transfer directly over as an apprenticeship. Probably depends on your state, too.

From what I understand, there's lots of things different on shipboard electrical systems compared to premises wiring, but there are lots of things the same also. After all, it's still just electricity.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be my best route to take to get a good job as a electrian when I get out? I'm looking to get around 25+ a hour and overtime. As I said before I still got 3 years till I'm out so I have a lot of time for school and etc.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
What would be my best route to take to get a good job as a electrian when I get out? I'm looking to get around 25+ a hour and overtime. As I said before I still got 3 years till I'm out so I have a lot of time for school and etc.

To get that kind of money you might want to hire on as a plant electrician. After a few years of documented work you can just take a JW test.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

...buy a current NEC book and a Mike Holt book to guide you through the code book, you won't be sorry, but a lot smarter. BTW, thanks for your service to this country and stay safe, welcome to ET. Join the IBEW (union)

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,577 Posts
DevFromHouston said:
Hey everybody, I'm Devyn, new to this forums and also new to the wonderful world of electrians. I'm still trying to figure out a lot to this website, but I just really wanted to conversate with electrians who have been doing this longer then me and have much experience. First question is, if anyone can answer is; What do I need to go through to transfer from navy electrian to a civilian electrian? I still have 3 years left of the navy so I'm not in a rush or anything, but I like to be prepared and know as much as possible. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you don't get in to an apprenticeship program on the outside, you can also look inwards towards federal service.
The pay is in the ball park of what you mentioned, based on location and before deductions.. The union on the outside pays a lot better, but lay offs are more likely.
For the federal government OPM is our master personal office, but I work for DOD/DON. We are wage grade employees and are paid an hourly wage thru appropriated funds.
You can use google to see what the basic trades jobs look like as for qualifications.. Every job from dish washer to rocket scientist is listed there with a 4 digit number.
An Electrician for DON is a,,, Electrician WG-2805-10.
WG is the pay group, Wage Grade,,,,,, 2805 is the job series designator for electrician,,,,, 10 is the pay grade, it goes from 5 thru 15 with 10 being a normal grade for a journeyman.

Check out USAJOBS.Gov for job listings.. That is were most federal jobs are listed when open. It changes quickly so keep looking. You can follow the links on the announcements and get a feel for what we do.. As an active duty, you can apply and be selected for a position up to 6 months before your EAOS. But don't take a federal job if you aren't ready to keep it.. It can be hard to get in, but if you leave or are fired, it's almost Imposable to get back in.
Oh ya, don't bother if you end up with an OTH or Dishonorable, you won't get a federal job.

A lot of what navy electrician do is not what outside electricians do. Yes you learn the basics, but that's were it splits.. You do learn good troubleshooting skills and that's a big plus for the outside.

Good luck.

btw, I'm a highly qualified Mail Buoy repairman. Ask your chief about repairing the next one you get in the shop.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,505 Posts
DevFromHouston said:
I'm not to familiar with the IBEW union, can you explain to me and how I would join it @360max Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just say no....lol

So where are you stationed now? Your not considering staying in?

Thank you for your service.

Btw I am a non union shop owner, I did six years as an OS on a destroyer USS Leftwich out of Pearl. 1991-1997.

I would have stayed in but Clinton was in office and they offered me crappy shore duty orders so I got out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for that @wirenuting that just really helped me in my search. @robnj772 I plan on doing shore duty if they give me good orders, but after I plan on getting out because I want more time with family. I am stationed in San Diego, been in only 2years so far, so lots to learn and looking forward to it

·
Coffee drinking member
14,577 Posts
robnj772 said:
Just say no....lol So where are you stationed now? Your not considering staying in? Thank you for your service. Btw I am a non union shop owner, I did six years as an OS on a destroyer USS Leftwich out of Pearl. 1991-1997. I would have stayed in but Clinton was in office and they offered me crappy shore duty orders so I got out.
When I got out the first time in 84 it was because I was on a CV and had to take weapons test equipment school.. That would have left me on shore duty or an AS. I had already been on an AS in Italy and I hated it.. The CV was fun and I wanted to keep underway... I retreaded back in after 9 months and restored to a GMG on the Mk42 5"/54 gun mount. Had an FF outa Norfolk until my final duty at Great Mistakes doing funeral details.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,577 Posts
DevFromHouston said:
Thank you for that @wirenuting that just really helped me in my search. @robnj772 I plan on doing shore duty if they give me good orders, but after I plan on getting out because I want more time with family. I am stationed in San Diego, been in only 2years so far, so lots to learn and looking forward to it Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you can do the collage courses while your in... Get an associates degree now while you have the time.. Even afloat is a great time to take the courses.. I had the chance but didn't do it,, don't miss this chance if you can.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I went thru my apprenticeship with a Navy Electrician. I don't know all the terms of the agreement he had with our employer, but I feel he kinda got screwed and kinda did it to himself. He doesn't seem to be willing to stick his neck out on a lot of simple tasks, but he knows theory, transformers etc like nobodies business.

If you consider going to new construction/open shop, try to talk to some people. Not everyone is out to screw you, but they know a sucker when they see one.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.