Electrician Talk banner

NC qualifier leaving the company

6085 Views 35 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  electricguyshelper
I just learned today that our qualifier that holds the electrical license for our company based in NC is leaving us high and dry. I am one year short of experience of qualifying to take the exam myself. I was anticipating getting my own license so that I could partner with the owner to expand operations. Couple of questions:
1. Is there a time limitation on how long the qualifier has to remove the company name from the license? I assume it is the date last worked by the qualifier. I see on the ncbeec website that our current jobs will not be affected because we have met the qualifications (permit, contract, etc.).
2. When the owner gets another qualifier, will this affect the hours of experience that I have already accumulated? I’m assuming they can still be attributed to the same company even if the qualifier is different.
A little background – Owner of company is in the process of getting his electrical license. Has it in another state but does not have reciprocity with NC (Its amazing the variations from state to state!) Scheduled for test, just needs to pass it.
I’m probably worried over nothing major. I’m just anticipating the worst case scenario should the owner not pass the test or find another qualifier. Any of you been in this situation when you were first starting out?
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Administrator
Retired EC
24,898 Posts
You time will not be affected by the change. I would check with the state as to how long but if the licensed guy is gone then he is not going to sign his name on the permits. In that case I don't believe you can take on other jobs

· animal lover /rat bastard
13,504 Posts
even though your hours won't be affected, make sure you have proof of all your hours. It might be in your best interest, in case things don't work out (the company goes under, everyone disappears, etc) that you have your hours printed out and have the qualifier sign it certifying that it was true, and keep this in your records for future proof. (It would not be the first time a guy got screwed out of years of work hours - look out for number 1)

· Registered
921 Posts
No, and NC reciprocates with Ohio too.
Correct but, reciprocating doesn't mean you get a license because you are licensed in a reciprocal state. What it means is, if you are awarded a project in a state that reciprocates you can basically do the particular project under the out of state license. If you decide to set up shop in NC for example, you will have to test and be able to bond yourself before you are given a license.

Roger

· Registered
2,052 Posts
Correct but, reciprocating doesn't mean you get a license because you are licensed in a reciprocal state. What it means is, if you are awarded a project in a state that reciprocates you can basically do the particular project under the out of state license. If you decide to set up shop in NC for example, you will have to test and be able to bond yourself before you are given a license.

Roger
They must have changed things in NC then, or we are talking about two different things.

A while back I reciprocated with NC and they issued me a certificate with a license #. I also had to complete 8/16 hrs a year in CED and pay an annual renewal fee. I haven't renewed in a couple of years though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.