Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
...is it worth it? Also, how does it relate to the classroom hours required for journeyman license is what I'm wondering. Is NCEER something different than classroom hours

About NCCER — NCCER is a not-for-profit 501 (c)(3) education foundation created by the construction industry to develop standardized curriculum and assessments with industry-recognized, portable credentials and to help address the skilled construction workforce shortage. NCCER is recognized by the industry as the training, assessment, certification and career development standard for the construction and maintenance craft professional.

In red=red flag number 1,,,,,The motivation is to flood the construction trades because wages are too high.

In blue= red flag number 2,,,There is no skilled tradesmen shortage,right now the balance is fairly good for skilled tradesmen because their wages have not fallen much in this six year recession,so the motivation is to flood the construction trades because wages are still too high for the construction industry's liking .

Lance;

Whatever state you live in you must find out from the board of electricians which school is the right one for you to get the required apprentice electricians hours.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am nceer certified in both electrical and safety.
The test is a joke, they ask several questions with more than one right answer and your suppose to read there mind what question is correct. This test is perfect for the guy who's been an electrician for years but could never pass a written j-man test, as it is not a code heavy.
there are 2 benefits to being nccer certified
1- you can put it on your resume and make yourself sound fancy to someone who has no idea what it is.
2- if you travel doing industrial work some companies especially in the south will pay you non licensed journeyman wages.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I have the NCCER Commercial and Industrial Electrician certifications. I am what they refer to as knowledge certified meaning I have passed the written partition of the certification process. I have not taken the hands on and probably will not ever take because it is not offered in my area.

The industrial was not a bad test I think I made a 96 on it after studying for 6 months.
The commercial test I felt was not designed to pass. It ask several off the wall questions that I think were more engineering type questions than tradesman type questions. Some of the sections only had 2 or 3 questions and if you missed 1 they would say that you need retraining on that particular subject.

I also felt that if you have different types of the same particular trade like Commercial and Industrial you should be able to use the sections that you passed in one certification towards the other certification. Even the money grabbers at NICET will let you do that.

If you have the opertinuity to take the test I would and do the hands on too. You never can tell.

LC

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got mine while working in the oil fields in Louisiana, it got me an extra 2.50 an hr. Simple test, passed on first attempt.some companies request a journey level to have it if not they will pay less. For whats it worth just get it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.