Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why it was forbidden in the 2014 NEC for any branch circuit supplying receptacles inside a garage to supply a receptacle just outside the garage even if is just on the other side of the wall of the garage?

I was just thinking how some Home builders wire their houses, and a lot of times I have seen where they ran a circuit to a receptacle just outside the garage (on the same wall) from the receptacle on the inside of the garage but now that is no longer allowed.

I tried to find the ROC on this but was unable to.​

·
Banned
749 Posts
Does anyone know why it was forbidden in the 2014 NEC for any branch circuit supplying receptacles inside a garage to supply a receptacle just outside the garage even if is just on the other side of the wall of the garage?

I was just thinking how some Home builders wire their houses, and a lot of times I have seen where they ran a circuit to a receptacle just outside the garage (on the same wall) from the receptacle on the inside of the garage but now that is no longer allowed.

run your own sh8T.

F the builder. do you wire for the builder or the customer

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have no idea why, but I cant think of any reason why it would be a bad idea. One of those code issues becoming design issues I guess. :no:
Fixed it for you. :)

On a lighter issue, I just read where my State might skip to 2017, I find this hard to believe, maybe a year late to the party.

I find myself floating away from these posts of 2014, nothing personal OP and thanks for putting 2014 in the title.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Look on page 163 of this PDF. http://www.iaei-western.org/Files/Code/2014/2014_ROP.pdf

Today’s garage has gone from a simple place to park our vehicles out of the elements to locations where home do-it-yourselfers service their vehicles and even convert a portion of the garage space to serve as a workshop. The required single receptacle may be blocked by a fixed appliance or have two appliances utilizing the duplex outlet. Homeowners have resorted to running extension cords from the garage door outlet stapling the cord to the ceiling to have an additional outlet for cord and plug appliances. By requiring and additional outlet for each car space will reduce the use of extension cords being used to extend the branch circuit wiring and provide a safer environment for the homeowner.
Additionally, the panel has chosen to include new language for 2014 requiring the receptacle branch circuit in the garage to only supply outlets within the garage in an effort to recognize the possibility of EV charging (see Proposal 2-180). With that thought in mind, it makes sense to expand the requirements for receptacles in garages to provide at least one receptacle outlet in each car parking space.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
I think it is another case where the cmp is doing design. Unfortunately iun most cases this will not help much as the car chargers I see are most 30 amp 240V. I know they make them 120V but I have a suspicion most people may go for the faster recharger.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Dennis Alwon said:
I think it is another case where the cmp is doing design. Unfortunately iun most cases this will not help much as the car chargers I see are most 30 amp 240V. I know they make them 120V but I have a suspicion most people may go for the faster recharger.
I think you're right. The auto manufacturers are going for longer and longer ranges on Evs, which means more battery capacity! which is going to need a higher wattage charger. Just silly. This ruling also means we can't slave the garage off of the panel gfi's in basements. Bastards.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
I think you're right. The auto manufacturers are going for longer and longer ranges on Evs, which means more battery capacity! which is going to need a higher wattage charger. Just silly. This ruling also means we can't slave the garage off of the panel gfi's in basements. Bastards.
Do people still do that? :blink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.