Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nec 422.12 says that i can run a permanently connected air conditioner off of the 60 amp branch feed to the heat strip in this furnace. So how would you guys do this? Do you come out of the furnace with the 10/2 cable or from a small breaker panel hooked to the 60? Do I just wire nut the 10 inside the air handler to the 6 gauge and take it to a fused disconnect outside? How would you do it? I'm trying to get around fishing an almost impossible 10/2 line to the panel. Thanks.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Nec 422.12 says that i can run a permanently connected air conditioner off of the 60 amp branch feed to the heat strip in this furnace. So how would you guys do this? Do you come out of the furnace with the 10/2 cable or from a small breaker panel hooked to the 60? Do I just wire nut the 10 inside the air handler to the 6 gauge and take it to a fused disconnect outside? How would you do it? I'm trying to get around fishing an almost impossible 10/2 line to the panel. Thanks.
No...

422.12 Central Heating Equipment. Central heating equipment other than fixed electric space-heating equipment shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.

Exception No. 1:  Auxiliary equipment, such as a pump, valve, humidifier, or electrostatic air cleaner directly associated with the heating equipment, shall be permitted to be connected to the same branch circuit.

Exception No. 2:  Permanently connected air-conditioning equipment shall be permitted to be connected to the same branch circuit.
The number 10 still must be protected, by fusing, or circuit breaker for it's rating.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For a 9.6 kw heat strip and a 3 ton outdoor unit we would run #2 too the attic, set a subpanel, feed the airhandler/heatstrips @ 60 amp ocpd and feed the out door unit/ condenser @30 amp ocpd in a disco at the unit. (In an existing home)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So maybe set a 4 space ML panel at the furnace supplied by the 60. Use a 60 amp breaker in it to supply the heat strip and a 30 breaker the supply the condensing unit outside since they are non coincidental loads.

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
vasparky27 said:
Oh yeah we pulled ser cable for attic lights and service recps. Probably not the cheapest way.
You Hawaiian electricians do things very different(from what I'm told)... One of our guys at work just moved back from Kauai, I think he wishes he never left there. Man oh man is he "different"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.