Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does NEC allow running multiple 480V 3 Phase Power load conductors in a single conduit instead of running each 3 phase loads conductors in separate conduits?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry !! If my post language is not clear let me try to clarify Does NEC allow running 3 phase feeders of more than one 480V, 3 Phase loads in a single conduit instead of running each load feeders in a separate conduits? Example say for 2 - 50 HP motors running instead of running in 2 separate 1 1/4 inch conduits with 3#4 AWG -each run 6 #4 AWG in say 2 Inch conduit? Hope this is clear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry !! If my post language is not clear let me try to clarify Does NEC allow running 3 phase feeders of more than one 480V, 3 Phase loads in a single conduit instead of running each load feeders in a separate conduits? Example say for 2 - 50 HP motors running instead of running in 2 separate 1 1/4 inch conduits with 3#4 AWG -each run 6 #4 AWG in say 2 Inch conduit? Hope this is clear.
Power2engineer is online now Report Post

·
Registered
Electrician
1,640 Posts
Yes, the only thing limiting it would be conduit fill and de-rating for # of current carrying conductors.

On that load conduit fill would only be like 15-16% (fine) and de-rating wouldn't be an issue with only 6 wires unless you are in a really hot area.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,798 Posts
I think the real question is: is there anything prohibiting it?

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,095 Posts
Those aren’t feeders if they are off the starters. Those are branch circuits. You need to derate for more than 3 current carrying conductors though. It is not uncommon to have a dozen or more circuits in wide cable trays where the derating rules are not so severe.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Seriously? If you have 2 motors, generally, you will need 2 conduits, one to each motor. If you run one conduit, how do you feed 2 motors? Or, how do you come out of 2 motor starters, with one conduit? Unless it's an MCC.

·
Registered
IBEW 6 volts to lightning bolts
1,065 Posts
I know a guy that knows a guy that might have pulled in 12 sets of 10 and 12 sets of 12 and half a dozen green ones in a 2".

Haha like all those panels I’ve seen with a 2” conduit up to a pull can with 42 MC/BX connectors in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts