Electrician Talk banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
do you guys think having the nec as the state law (it is in my state) but there being little if any enforcement of the code unless an accident happens, helps or hurts good contractors and or electricians.
I think it definitely hurts the electrical trade as a whole. If you constantly make mistakes and are never corrected (The inspector lets you get away with subpar installations) you will teach those mistakes, its a domino effect.

I've struggled with this. I take a lot of pride in my work and as an apprentice and a newer journeyman I had a foreman who was having me install things against code, but in that situation its his way or the highway and I need my job so what can I really say? when you do speak up it is taken as disrespect, "how could you possibly know better than me I've been doing this 20+ years!"

Inspectors need to be checked too. I've seen them pass blatant code violations several times, most likely out of ignorance, a lot of the inspectors on our jobs are multiple trade inspectors not just electrical inspectors so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The Authority Having Jurisdiction.

I always wondered about the term, The authority having jurisdiction. Or "qualified person". Who can that person be? The lunch lady at the Town Hall Building Department?

Years ago it use to be friends of the building department head that got the job.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts