Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Manufacturer of surge protection and voltage monitoring equipment
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if this is an actual NEC code requirement? To have a combined AC disconnect / GFCI outlet? I heard at one point, maybe NEC 2017, that it was a code requirement to have an outdoor GFCI outlet specifically for contractors to have a safe place to plug in their equipment and it had to be x number of feet from the equipment. I know I'm on the right track here because I've read bits and pieces about this just can't find the specific requirement or wording. Also, I'm not confusing this with NEC2020 210.8(f) - they are 2 separate requirements (which just to adds to all the current GFCI confusion).

Gas Electronic device Machine Font Rectangle

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
210.63 Equipment Requiring Servicing.

A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be instal⁠led at an accessible location within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the equipment as specified in 210.63(A) and (B).
(A) Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment.

The required receptacle outlet shall be located on the same level as the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment’s branch-circuit disconnecting means.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,111 Posts
I have seen those combo disconnects before but when I looked I was not satisfied with the internals, some I have seen do not have breakers dropping down the current for the outlet.
Every time I have used the tap rules I get in trouble so I avoid them and use a plane old disconnect and and a GFCI in another WP box.

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
I have seen those combo disconnects before but when I looked I was not satisfied with the internals, some I have seen do not have breakers dropping down the current for the outlet.
Every time I have used the tap rules I get in trouble so I avoid them and use a plane old disconnect and and a GFCI in another WP box.
I feed the receptacle with its own 20 amp circuit.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,883 Posts
I think the guys at HVAC SH's were selling those combo disconnects and telling their customers it was code required, at least that was my experience recently. When I told the HVAC guy I was working with it was only required to have a receptacle close by, not combined with the disconnect, he was quick to return that unit.

·
Registered
733 Posts
They are handy if you are installing an A/C circuit somewhere with no recep close by and don't want the hassle of cutting one in or the ugly of mounting a Bell box. They are peculiar when you open them up and sometimes it's confusing what to do with the ground.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,331 Posts
If I understand the original question, No , there must be an outlet outside within 25 feet of air conditioning and refrigeration appliances but it doesn't have to be dedicated to the appliance. So.... if there is a front or rear outdoor gfi protected 120 volt outlet per code, if it is within 25 feet of the not related appliance then you are good to go. It could also have been there 20 years before the appliance, but as long as it is within 25 feet and gfi protected it meets code.

If the is not an existing outlet to serve the requirement, get to work, you are going to need to install a gfi protected 120 volt receptacle within 25 feet of the outdoor appliance if it is AC or a Refer.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,883 Posts
If I understand the original question, No , there must be an outlet outside within 25 feet of air conditioning and refrigeration appliances but it doesn't have to be dedicated to the appliance. So.... if there is a front or rear outdoor gfi protected 120 volt outlet per code, if it is within 25 feet of the not related appliance then you are good to go. It could also have been there 20 years before the appliance, but as long as it is within 25 feet and gfi protected it meets code.

If the is not an existing outlet to serve the requirement, get to work, you are going to need to install a gfi protected 120 volt receptacle within 25 feet of the outdoor appliance if it is AC or a Refer.
That’s how I see it too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts