Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
1,836 Posts
I think the guys at HVAC SH's were selling those combo disconnects and telling their customers it was code required, at least that was my experience recently. When I told the HVAC guy I was working with it was only required to have a receptacle close by, not combined with the disconnect, he was quick to return that unit.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,836 Posts
If I understand the original question, No , there must be an outlet outside within 25 feet of air conditioning and refrigeration appliances but it doesn't have to be dedicated to the appliance. So.... if there is a front or rear outdoor gfi protected 120 volt outlet per code, if it is within 25 feet of the not related appliance then you are good to go. It could also have been there 20 years before the appliance, but as long as it is within 25 feet and gfi protected it meets code.

If the is not an existing outlet to serve the requirement, get to work, you are going to need to install a gfi protected 120 volt receptacle within 25 feet of the outdoor appliance if it is AC or a Refer.
That’s how I see it too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts