Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’m not electrician, just trying to save money. And just wanna get some input before I continue.

I added a 20a breaker to my circuit box, ran 10/3 to a 220 outlet.

Hots to my X and Y, neutral and ground all went to this outlet. 2 hots to the 20a, and my neutral and ground to the spot in the box for them. I had to join two rolls of wire together with wire nuts in the attic.

I was just about done, cleaning up. And after I tested the outlet with my meter. Went to push it back into the box, and POOF. Bright flash and a pop and it was smoking. Like I said it tested fine on the meter and I didn’t have a problem till I tried to push it into the outlet box. I had all my wires screwed down tight as I could, I triple checked. If anyone has any idea what I could’ve done wrong please let me know.
If it makes a difference this is to power a tanning bed for my mother in law. But I didn’t even get to plug it in like I said. -TIA-

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,992 Posts
Never work any wires while they are energized.
your lucky you were not hurt.

please head over to our sister DIY site for further help.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,992 Posts
Sorry for posting in the wrong place, thanks!
I don’t have the link handy, but soon enough a site moderator will be by to close this thread.
They will then post the link to our sister DIY site.
plenty of good folks there to help when they can.

·
Super Moderator
7,557 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your inquiry.

If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.