Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been rocking a Fluke 177 for probably 6 years now. And it's been great. But it did not survive a 35m fall onto a steel I-beam.

I do mostly commissioning and startup of industrial, primarily oil and gas plants. I haven't needed a process meter, but I don't know if it's something I would use either as I don't really know what they do.

I was looking at the Fluke 87V and the Fluke 789 if a process meter is something that would actually be useful.

But then I saw the Agilent U1253B with the OLED screen. And I have to say it was a really nice meter, super easy to read the display. But that was the first time I have seen an Agilent (Keysight?) meter.

I'm not really sure what is the right direction, and this is the first time I have thought outside Fluke as well.

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
I don't like the agilent OLED displays, the demo models I saw were kinda hard to see outdoors in sunlight.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't like the agilent OLED displays, the demo models I saw were kinda hard to see outdoors in sunlight.
Hmm, wouldn't have thought that with how nice it looked. But didn't take it outside either, didn't actually think to. But not being easy to see outside is no good though, seems I always have glare making it hard enough to read.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Really liking my 28 for outside use and in the rain. My 189 doesn't do well in the rain and snow.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is definitely very popular in my field.
What makes it a better meter than my 117 was though? Besides the temp probe ability.

Can I use one of those clamp ammeter attachments with it?
It works really well for VFD chopped up outputs, easy to check caps as well. I always preferred using an actual clampmeter for clamp readings.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have two meters that I carry with me.

One is an Extech EX600 for line voltage stuff and amp readings. The only real complaint I have is that it doesn't do milliamps. It does microamps, but not mA. The AC/DC amp clamp comes in very handy at times. The backlight only stays on for 30 seconds (which is a PITA at times), but I just deal with that.

The other is a Fluke 787 Processmeter. Since I deal with quite a few 4-20mA analog devices, it's a necessity for me.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It works really well for VFD chopped up outputs, easy to check caps as well. I always preferred using an actual clampmeter for clamp readings.
Getting a real reading from a chopped up VFD is great. Sounds like that's enough to win me there, lol.

I have a fluke clamp meter, can't remember the model number now, it's rated for 1000 amps, but the jaw on it can only fit over a 900 mcm wire. And anything running close to 1000a is more like a 1750 or 2000 mcm if it's not bus bar. And mind you I see that a lot less now as pretty much every motor drawing more than 500 amps is 5 kv or 9 kv. But it's still a pain when the damn jaws won't close.

I have two meters that I carry with me.

One is an Extech EX600 for line voltage stuff and amp readings. The only real complaint I have is that it doesn't do milliamps. It does microamps, but not mA. The AC/DC amp clamp comes in very handy at times. The backlight only stays on for 30 seconds (which is a PITA at times), but I just deal with that.

The other is a Fluke 787 Processmeter. Since I deal with quite a few 4-20mA analog devices, it's a necessity for me.
I deal with a LOT of 4-20 (almost always rosemount transmitters), but at the same time have a Hart 475 so not sure if the process meter would do me any good.
Having a small meter that could do changes like changing units and range would be awesome if they are out there.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
I deal with a LOT of 4-20 (almost always rosemount transmitters), but at the same time have a Hart 475 so not sure if the process meter would do me any good.
Having a small meter that could do changes like changing units and range would be awesome if they are out there.
A process meter like a 789 is a must if you are working with instruments. Plus it work well as a multimeter. I have troubleshot a lot of instrument wiring with one. The 475 isn't any good for doing anything other than talking to the transmitter.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A process meter like a 789 is a must if you are working with instruments. Plus it work well as a multimeter. I have troubleshot a lot of instrument wiring with one. The 475 isn't any good for doing anything other than talking to the transmitter.
I'll be honest. I generally only deal with new transmitters, and the only troubleshooting I do is wrong tagging. It's probably only 1 in 100 that won't turn on, and I haven't ran into one that needs calibration yet, I almost think they are more accurate than my cal kit.

I really only use the 475 to change units and keep it on the one screen instead of bouncing between the different screens. And I will use it to send specific values for scada check.

What kind of troubleshooting can it do?

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
I'll be honest. I generally only deal with new transmitters, and the only troubleshooting I do is wrong tagging. It's probably only 1 in 100 that won't turn on, and I haven't ran into one that needs calibration yet, I almost think they are more accurate than my cal kit.

I really only use the 475 to change units and keep it on the one screen instead of bouncing between the different screens. And I will use it to send specific values for scada check.

What kind of troubleshooting can it do?
It can provide loop power for transmitters, source milliamps for valves and read milliamps. It can automatically step up and down the milliamp output to check the stroke of a valve. Plus it works as a multimeter. It is quick to use the loop power to find wiring problems when the return wire get shorted out or to the shield.

If you are doing new instalations it can be nice to set up transmitters and valves when the I/o isn't terminated yet. Fisher valves with a dvc won't let you do precision tunning unless it is getting 8 milliamps

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It can provide loop power for transmitters, source milliamps for valves and read milliamps. It can automatically step up and down the milliamp output to check the stroke of a valve. Plus it works as a multimeter. It is quick to use the loop power to find wiring problems when the return wire get shorted out or to the shield.

If you are doing new instalations it can be nice to set up transmitters and valves when the I/o isn't terminated yet. Fisher valves with a dvc won't let you do precision tunning unless it is getting 8 milliamps
It would be nice to power the heads for testing and set up. I imagine I could have the hart hooked up while the meter is powering the head right?

It seems it can do everything a 87V can do and then more. You might have to try and get a commision from fluke here, lol

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
Hmm, wouldn't have thought that with how nice it looked. But didn't take it outside either, didn't actually think to. But not being easy to see outside is no good though, seems I always have glare making it hard enough to read.
The OLED's are hard on batteries too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts