Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only a second year apprentice so I am not looking to buy a fluke 325 quite yet, but would like one relatively close to the accuracy so that I don't have to repurchase one until I am much further in my field.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Make sure it's a fluke and it's rms.

Pay the money now. It will last you a career if you want it to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are none that come close to being as accurate? I don't buy junk normally everything of mine has been Klein so far for hand tools but I noticed their meters are from China which I was not interested in.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My last meter was a sperry. Ghost voltage, hard to see, decimal would jump randomly. If you need a good meter, buy one. If not, use your j.mans. It's just to important of a tool to cut corners on.

·
Lucky to be Alive
345 Posts
Felandro said:
There are none that come close to being as accurate? I don't buy junk normally everything of mine has been Klein so far for hand tools but I noticed their meters are from China which I was not interested in.
If you are looking for a non-China meter, you are out of luck. All Fluke clamps are made in China or Taiwan too. I've held the 320 series, and they are built very cheap. You need to buy the 370 series for a better clamp, but be prepared to pay big for those.

Fluke only makes a couple of DMM's in the USA now ( not all). Everything thing else is China and Taiwan.

·
Estwing magic
26,767 Posts
Hate to say it but a basic Klown clamp meter will get you through for a couple of years. Then spend the bucks on something like a 376. We don't do much industrial work anymore but some sites don't allow anything less than Cat lll, 1000V.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So there are no clamp on meters that are made domestically instead of being cheap? I thought the whole point of paying an exorbitant amount was to get a meter made well.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
So there are no clamp on meters that are made domestically instead of being cheap? I thought the whole point of paying an exorbitant amount was to get a meter made well.
Overseas markets are still capable of turning out quality products.

Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's junk and just because it's made in USA doesn't mean it's quality.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's junk and just because it's made in USA doesn't mean it's quality.
This is true but is there any research done on which factory's have a high degree of QAQC attached to them?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been looking at Amprobe has anyone used them are they any good I don't see them stating what their safety rating is anywhere, would it be foolish to assume they put their standards up there with everyone elses?

·
Lucky to be Alive
345 Posts
Felandro said:
I've been looking at Amprobe has anyone used them are they any good I don't see them stating what their safety rating is anywhere, would it be foolish to assume they put their standards up there with everyone elses?
Amprobe and Fluke are owned by the same parent company. That does not mean they are built the same as Fluke though. Amprobe was a stand-alone company, doing things their own way, before they were bought. So, they could be building the same way.

Also, keep in mind that the safety rating for the clamp portion is different than for the voltage inputs. The clamp portion can easily be CAT IV, because it does not touch any voltage.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
jza said:
Overseas markets are still capable of turning out quality products. Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it's junk and just because it's made in USA doesn't mean it's quality.
Well said

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would say your best shot would be a 325 or a 375 man. Just bite the bullet. Don't patch job a meter. The meters I listed do both AC/DC amps which.. if you ever get into solar DC amp clamp is the cats a** for comissioning and troubleshooting. you can pick up a 325 for around $250 around here which is at a supplier so there are better deals out there.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
I would say your best shot would be a 325 or a 375 man. Just bite the bullet. Don't patch job a meter. The meters I listed do both AC/DC amps which.. if you ever get into solar DC amp clamp is the cats a** for comissioning and troubleshooting. you can pick up a 325 for around $250 around here which is at a supplier so there are better deals out there.
I have a 376. I love the way the knob clicks. :001_huh:

·
Banned
16,967 Posts

Very true, all of Fluke's most popular testers (T+, T5, etc) are made in China and they are high quality, renowned testers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts