Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 4 starters like these :

image-987809555.jpg

and want to use an auxiliary contact for run status, the problem is finding some. The guy at ABB tech support chuckled when I gave him the part # and said" man, it's been a while since I've seen one of those!" And went on to say the only thing that "might"work is an ABB CA5-10 front mount auxiliary contact, if not then new starters will be required. Has anyone here used those CA5-10's and will they work? Thanks

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,083 Posts
Another fairly easy way to get more aux contacts is to connect an ice-cube relay in parallel with the starter coil.

I've found that if more contact blocks are added to that type of starter, they fail more often. The coil isn't strong enough to handle all the contacts.

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
micromind said:
Another fairly easy way to get more aux contacts is to connect an ice-cube relay in parallel with the starter coil. I've found that if more contact blocks are added to that type of starter, they fail more often. The coil isn't strong enough to handle all the contacts.
Thanks micromind, that a great idea!

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
micromind said:
Another fairly easy way to get more aux contacts is to connect an ice-cube relay in parallel with the starter coil. I've found that if more contact blocks are added to that type of starter, they fail more often. The coil isn't strong enough to handle all the contacts.
Double post.

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
I just tossed a bunch of those that were all aux contacted up. Cheap crap, we seem to replace them in batches. New starters or relays.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
We have 4 starters like these :

View attachment 31434

and want to use an auxiliary contact for run status, the problem is finding some. The guy at ABB tech support chuckled when I gave him the part # and said" man, it's been a while since I've seen one of those!" And went on to say the only thing that "might"work is an ABB CA5-10 front mount auxiliary contact, if not then new starters will be required. Has anyone here used those CA5-10's and will they work? Thanks
How about ct's and current relays? That will tell you that it SHOULD be on and IS on, as well.

·
Premium Member
18,549 Posts
The front mounts aren't that rare, half the guys here have some in the bottom. Of a bucket of crap somewhere.
Are you required to have a mechanical interlock?
If not, the additional relay idea would be best.

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jrannis said:
Are you required to have a mechanical interlock? If not, the additional relay idea would be best.
No interlock, it's run status to SCADA. I like the ice cube relay idea but will also look into the current sensing relay tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yeah. CSRs are the way to go for proofing.
Depending on the equipment if it is belt drivin you can adjust the CSR fine enough that it will not proof if the belt breaks and the motor unloads.
We do that with exhaust fans and AHUs.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Q: For the A-line Contactor Accessories, What is the compatibility between new/old auxiliary devices on old B-line to new A-line contactors.

A: The new Single Pole Front Mount (CA5-10,-01), or the new Four Pole Front Mount(CA5-40,-31,-22,-04...), can be used on the old B-line, (B9-B85)

http://www.abb.us/cawp/usabb046/4bf2e53ed19fa084c12572f7006f2b56.aspx

Your ABB guy was a nincompoop... send him this link.

http://bit.ly/I0BVEc

Tell him it's the 6th result down from the top.

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The boss liked the ice cube relay because they're relatively cheap and easy to get and now that little job is done. But being able to tweak those current sensing relays gives more control options
And I'll have to keep those in mind for the future. Thanks everyone for your help!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Q: For the A-line Contactor Accessories, What is the compatibility between new/old auxiliary devices on old B-line to new A-line contactors.

A: The new Single Pole Front Mount (CA5-10,-01), or the new Four Pole Front Mount(CA5-40,-31,-22,-04...), can be used on the old B-line, (B9-B85)

http://www.abb.us/cawp/usabb046/4bf2e53ed19fa084c12572f7006f2b56.aspx

Your ABB guy was a nincompoop... send him this link.

http://bit.ly/I0BVEc

Tell him it's the 6th result down from the top.
LOVE THE LINK!!! LOL :laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts