Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im an auto electrician. Fairly new to the trade. I am wiring a set of auto-folding mirrors.

The mirrors are wired up so when the ignition is on, they fold out, and when ignition off, they fold in.

Each case they will get constant 12v. Obviously the polarity will be reversed to operate the motor in reverse to fold the mirrors and then polarity changed again so that the motor unfolds. (using DPDT relay for this)

THE PROBLEM:
As the mirrors will be getting constant 12v 24/7, i need some sort of switch or something that cuts the current/voltage when the mirrors are fully folded and unfolded. What can i use?

Before there was something inside that use to click after few seconds when mirrors fully unfolded or folded. I used a multimeter in parralel to the test circuit and it droped when mirrors folding/unfolding and when fully extracted/retracted, after click the voltage went back up. The clicking has stoped, therefore i beleive something has gone bust.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
This site is mainly construction related electric. Someone may be able to help, but this is not our forte.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol nah, nothing to do with control modules. i made it abit complicated making it seem "automotive"

basically. Say i use an electric motor and after spining 90degrees clockwise or anti-clokwise, a mechanism stops it from turning any further.

But the problem is the motor will still be getting constant voltage, but the "stop" forcing the axis from spinning. This in turn could burn out the motor.

So i need something that stops the current/voltage when its at the 90degree point. asin something i could put inline between the motor and the power wires themselves.

Any ideas?! Thanks

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
An ammeter would be required, as well as some sort of logic controller to interpret the motors' amp draw change as being at a physically stopped position. However, doing this will require the motor to be stopped, even momentarily.
Limit switches would be a better choice. They would physically open or close when the motor turns the mirror to a certain point. Problem here is location of them. Auto mirrors (I know, you 'say' this isn't automotive) don't have a lot of options for mounting extraneous control equipment.

I doubt you'll find some sort of magic bullet that you can simply install in the power wiring to mysteriously 'know' where the motors are, and therefore be able to control them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ye i considered a limit switch but as you said, where would i mount it.

I wonder what was inside that made a click a few seconds after the mirrors were fully folded/unfolded. Even more i wonder why it doesnt anymore. It use to work a treat and the voltage would decrease when motor turning and when it cant turn no more, would hear click and voltage shoot back up again.

Thanks guys anyways :)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
If this is an existing system that no longer functions, why try to reinvent the wheel? Troubleshoot for a malfunction and replace parts accordingly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a replica part. So its hard to trace manufacturer. Trying to take it apart is another thing too lol. attempted on numerous occaisions. Just thought there might be a device, like a "magic diode" or something lol

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
There is probably a regulator inside like the type used for a power window, as stated "why try and reinvent the wheel"? It needs to be opened up, where I'm sure the bad part will have some type of nomenclature on it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi, im an auto electrician. Fairly new to the trade. I am wiring a set of auto-folding mirrors.

The mirrors are wired up so when the ignition is on, they fold out, and when ignition off, they fold in.
Thanks
As stated earlier in this post, this is not the forum for your question.

Rhetorical question here: what kind of an auto mechanical engineer would design something that operates every time the ignition was turned 'on'.?

Rethorical answer here: one that has an interest in his company's electric motor vendor, or in a dealership.

Bottom line is we all 'take it in the end' . . .

Work'in For That Free Tee . . .

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There is probably a regulator inside like the type used for a power window, as stated "why try and reinvent the wheel"? It needs to be opened up, where I'm sure the bad part will have some type of nomenclature on it.
I agree. Power windows use a cam driven by the motor armature which open contacts, constantly interrupting the current flow, but the inertia of the motor allows the contacts to close and current resumes until the mechanism stops and the contacts remain open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.