Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this forum is technically for people who are already electricians, but I'm getting desperate here, so I'm gonna break the rules. I currently live in Ypsilanti, Michigan (the southeastern part, near Ann Arbor). I spent a long time this year filling out papers and studying for the aptitude test to get a IBEW apprenticeship. Days after the application deadline the union decided they don't want any new apprentices (NONE!!!) this year. I am horribly let down but I know there's gotta be another way. I'm not interested in waiting years to get into that program. I have been fascinated with all aspects of electrical work since I was a kid. I want to know if anyone can recommend alternative electrical careers in my area, telephone\lineman\tv etc. I really want to find something with on-the-job training. I considered DTE and AT&T but their web site doesn't show any openings in my area. I've worked in restaurants long enough now and I'm ready to start working on my real career goal. If I can just get my foot in the door on some form of electrical job then I would at least have a start. So does anyone have any tips or info? Or is there anyone here from my area that I could network with? I really want to emphasize that this is a job I want, not something I think would be easy money. I know its hard and challenging. Any help would be appreciated beyond words.

-Graham Boone
Ypsilanti, MI

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Graham, try applying at different companies.

I don't know what the conditions are where you are, but here there are always companies, (usually residential) that will hire guys with no experience. You will get a start learning the trade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm currently contacting every contractor in the area, though it seems many of them proudly advertise the use of union workers. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Is there usually a substantial amount of non-union work going on? What sort of shady places might one go to look for such jobs?

I'm also considering taking more classes at Washtenaw Community College, particularly "PLCs" and "Motors and Controls." This might sound like a silly question but do you guys think those courses would give me a serious advantage over other apprenticeship applicants? I guess I'm not sure what the average guy has on his application.

·
Registered
32,807 Posts
Graham:

When nomads ran out of food they move, it appears you may be out of options MOVE. In Washington DC you would be in the UNION working TODAY. Stay here till you are an journeyman then relocate home if there is any work there.

And post away on this site, IMO we need more young men with just more than a passing interest in the field, those that become electricians because they want to not because it is just a job.

·
Registered
617 Posts
What sort of shady places might one go to look for such jobs?
:laughing: :thumbup:

You could always burn down a big building in your area......That should drum up some more work :jester:

And taking the classes mentioned will definetly set you higher than most other applicants(and it's really good stuff to know)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idea

Have you tried Flint local #948. I know they have a shortage of residential apprentices, and are always accepting applications. I have 9 men on my residential crew and I will be hiring about 9 more in roughly 2 weeks. I have 6 guys on my commercial side. We do everything. General Motors, Banks, Icecream Shops...you name it. We are doing alot of residential buildings such as assisted living and large apartment complexs. I find it hard that Ann Arbor has no work. I know severl guys electricians as well as other trades that are just booming with work. I think the problem is that right now contractors have their select few men and that is why you cant find work. I have 3 huge jobs going right now in detroit area. You could possibly get in the flin local and work in the detroit area and that wouldnt be that bad of a drive :) i.m.o.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.