Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if im posting this in the right forum or not. I am new to this site and to the electrical field. I just started working for a decent size company that does all kinds of work industrial, commercial, and residential. I am happy with my new profession and love what I do but I was curious to know how would I know at what time I need a license. Its probably a dumb question but I thought about it a looked around online and have found things about apprenticeship licenses. If someone could help me out with where I could find out laws in Tennessee regarding licensing btw the company I work for also does out of state work too if that makes a differance. Really ANYTHING AT ALL about the details of the profession that any of you masters think would help a beginner be prepared and well informed would be much appreciated. Also any help with how to best utilize this website I think it could be a great help for some one new to the electrical field like me.:thumbup:

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,071 Posts
Are you in the union?

Many states have apprentice programs but if you are talking about an electrical contracting license then you need many years of working for someone to get the hours required by your state.

Here is something I found on the web

http://www.tn.gov/regboards/contractors/electrician.shtml

Reactions: nickrsmith

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,638 Posts
Just go to work and find out from your employer what is expected of you.
I have never heard of an apprentice license.

You are not authorized or ready to test for a license yet.
Most states make you prove your time in this trade before they allow you to test for a license.

Welcome to the forum and read it.
Lots of smart guys and smart asses. But overall a very good place to learn and have some fun at the same time!

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
I had to have an apprentice license in Washington, and I think that you have to carry one in California now as well. That or a trainee card.

Reactions: nickrsmith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No im not union and thanks i appreciate the replys. checked out the link and i was wondering if the exam you have to take to get a LLE is the same as the jorneymans test. monday when i go to the shop and meet whoever it is im working with this week i will defenatly make sure that the hours i work will be logged and will count towards the 8000 i need. If anyone wants to post anything else they think might be helpful including must know basics, ideas that may impress a boss, or anything to make my experiance better let me know.

·
Can't Remember
10,453 Posts
We had and maybe still do have apprentice cards in NH. Find out what you need to get yourself in a position to take the journeyman's exam. Need to know how many hours of work experience, is there class to be taken, how are your hours recorded, etc. Don't find yourself stuck after a few years and you don't have everything in order.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In our state apprentices need an "apprentice card" the state uses the date you obtain the card to start accumulating the required hours to take the 3 year residential wireman exam or the 4 year journeyman exam. As far as impressing your bosses; mouth closed and ears open also be the first one at the job and last one to take off your tool belt off, this goes for breaks too. finally always be available to work overtime you will have plenty of time to be with Mary Jane Rotten Crotch after you get your Journeyman card.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
I'm not familiar with how things work on that side of the country, but I would not only check the area I live in, but I would check the surrounding states as well.

If you begin an apprenticeship in an area that has loose regulations, you want to make sure what you are learning and your experience are transferable to another local. Remember, 80-90% of business owners do not have your best interests in mind, take the matter into your own hands, and give yourself a quality education, no matter how much it costs.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,638 Posts
So, an apprentice card is just a certificate to keep track of hours and education?

I mean what kind of test, besides an aptitude test could a green (zero experience) apprentice pass?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
So, an apprentice card is just a certificate to keep track of hours and education?

I mean what kind of test, besides an aptitude test could a green (zero experience) apprentice pass?
Yup! It is just to keep track of their hours on the job and classroom time. I believe they don't take any tests, they just have to register and pay the fees. I could be wrong though.

·
Can't Remember
10,453 Posts
More or less. Either way, it facilitates working towards your journeyman's here. Jump through the hoops, keep track of your hours, make sure someone is signing for them, take classes if there are any.

·
E&I QA Inspector
Oklahoma Licensed Unlimited Electrical Contractor; Texas Licensed Master Electrician
182 Posts

In OK they have an apprentice license also. Not used for tracking at all - merely a revenue builder for the state.

In TX they have one also. Apprentices must have annual continuing ed to renew. Not sure if they use it for tracking - I think when you are ready to test and apply for a JM license, all hour verification is via affidavits from former employers.

To the OP: Wanting to impress your boss?...this early in the game?...by something you say?...from someone on here?:eek:
As was mentioned earlier - keep quiet for now. He may follow up your "impressive" comment with a question of which you know nothing about. I think we can all appreciate your drive and hunger for the trade! Hang in there and learn all you can!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I believe Dennis has provided you the best link for Tennessee electrical licensing info.
http://www.tn.gov/regboards/contractors/FAQ.shtml#b

Just go to work and find out from your employer what is expected of you.
I have never heard of an apprentice license.
Every state has their own laws. Michigan requires all apprentices to be registered with the state and they receive a certificate of registration. There is no test to receive this “license” but they must provide proof of participation in a bona fide apprenticeship training program approved by the Electrical Administrative Board; this program must be equivalent to the requirements of those imposed by the United States department of labor bureau of apprenticeship and training (minimum of 576 hrs. of RTI and 8000 hrs. of OJT).

Basically this means providing documentation from the sponsoring employer that the apprentice is working under a licensed electrical contractor/master electrician and documentation from the Related Technical Instruction (RTI) Provider showing that they are enrolled in an electrical training program (i.e. formal schooling).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts