Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to remove the meter cover? Do the meters have to be removed? This feeds a duplex townhouse and I do not want to touch the bottom meter. If I touch it, it might also break.. The top breaker is arcing and I do not want to pull on it too much because I am not familiar with this meter stack. An old ITE brand. The breaker is one of those odd 4 pole 125 amp.

Attachments

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,375 Posts
Does anybody know how to remove the meter cover? Do the meters have to be removed? This feeds a duplex townhouse and I do not want to touch the bottom meter. If I touch it, it might also break.. The top breaker is arcing and I do not want to pull on it too much because I am not familiar with this meter stack. An old ITE brand. The breaker is one of those odd 4 pole 125 amp.
pretty sure ya gotta pull em both bruh. Just put it right back while you’re workin.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like its
Time for an upgrade if you order now you may see
It before June
That's the problem. It is an al electric house and it is getting cold. I told them to shut off and drain the water. Another thing, it is a duplex and the second meter / disconnect is working. So who pays for the upgrade?

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,375 Posts
That's the problem. It is an al electric house and it is getting cold. I told them to shut off and drain the water.
thats why i said what i said....errr typed. pull the meters, get cover off, put neighbors meter back, do rest of ur work. does that no seem possible in ur scenario? i cant say, im not there lol

slay, last one i did like 900 years ago was 1200, lemme look...brb

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,012 Posts
Honestly sell an upgrade in the mean time have the utility cut power and put a new breaker in and pray like hell they make it the winter

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
thats why i said what i said....errr typed. pull the meters, get cover off, put neighbors meter back, do rest of ur work. does that no seem possible in ur scenario? i cant say, im not there lol

I ment the house I don’t care about the meter
Cost. They need one yesterday

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,375 Posts

wrong again...had one the other day, not today.
900+tax for the sidebyside, 1200+tax for up/down

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I do believe both meters must come out before the cover can be removed.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

If I pull the second meter even fir a second, the homeowner will know and I am worried the main disconnect for the second meter won't turn back on. There is heavy arcing on the top meter. It could be the breaker or the buss bar. IDK. yet.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If I pull the second meter even fir a second, the homeowner will know and I am worried the main disconnect for the second meter won't turn back on. There is heavy arcing on the top meter. It could be the breaker or the buss bar. IDK. yet.
One way to find out

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,375 Posts
omg no chit sherlock. so then you need to make nice and communicate as needed and make it happen. unless u have a magic wand here, u gotta do it bruh. time to get off the training wheels and plan ahead and or do whats needed to get the job done.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts