Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
omg no chit sherlock. so then you need to make nice and communicate as needed and make it happen. unless u have a magic wand here, u gotta do it bruh. time to get off the training wheels and plan ahead and or do whats needed to get the job done.
I know what I have to do but the two homeowners have to work it out. The second one does not want me touching their meter or disconnect. If I break it I have to fix it they said.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,482 Posts
I know what I have to do but the two homeowners have to work it out. The second one does not want me touching their meter or disconnect. If I break it I have to fix it they said.
youre in a pickle, no doubt, but youre IN IT. so now all that matters is how u GET OUT.consider this learning experience for what it is on the next job and next job and etc.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,903 Posts
If you can pull the meter with the cover on, you'll need to pull both meters in order to get the cover off.

You're right about the disconnects, they may or may not turn back on. Usually the ITEs will turn back on if they were turned off and not tripped off. FPEs usually won't turn back on no matter what.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
youre in a pickle, no doubt, but youre IN IT. so now all that matters is how u GET OUT.consider this learning experience for what it is on the next job and next job and etc.
It's for a past customer who gave me a decent amount of work at his business. I am up all night worrying about this and I think I might pass it to the electrician who does the condo complex. He might have run into a similar issue at other condos. I would have no problem if the materials were available but I feel they are not. If we have to wait 8 weeks for a simple meter pan, I can only assume as someone said , " order now for a June delivery date".

·
Registered
Electrician
1,455 Posts
I would imagine that a duplex scenario would be similar to a condo, the two units are kinda like an association. So if both are not on the same page and agreeable to the work/risk, then there’s really nothing you can do to either one until they are.

But I’m just assuming, I’ve never worked on a duplex but that’s how I would approach it.

If you’re really in a bad spot could you get a stand alone meter and second riser and abandon the bad side of the existing meter can? It’s ugly as hell but I’ve seen it before and it works, let the poco connect the second riser to the service lateral.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,039 Posts
I would imagine that a duplex scenario would be similar to a condo, the two units are kinda like an association. So if both are not on the same page and agreeable to the work/risk, then there’s really nothing you can do to either one until they are.

But I’m just assuming, I’ve never worked on a duplex but that’s how I would approach it.

If you’re really in a bad spot could you get a stand alone meter and second riser and abandon the bad side of the existing meter can? It’s ugly as hell but I’ve seen it before and it works, let the poco connect the second riser to the service lateral.
f all that it’s not safe plain and simple people could die place could burn down. Have poco come red tag and cut power they will agree real fast then

·
Registered
Electrician
1,455 Posts
f all that it’s not safe plain and simple people could die place could burn down. Have poco come red tag and cut power they will agree real fast then
Yeah but that “not my job, not my problem” mentality only works when you’re working for someone else, when you’re running a business you need to offer solutions to help solve problems. If half the can is good, and that customer doesn’t want to play nice, he needs to address his customer/problem half. The top meter is already out so the arching breaker should be safe, refeed that side of the duplex with a new 100 amp service. It’s winter man, get that electric heat running!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yeah but that “not my job, not my problem” mentality only works when you’re working for someone else, when you’re running a business you need to offer solutions to help solve problems. If half the can is good, and that customer doesn’t want to play nice, he needs to address his customer/problem half. The top meter is already out so the arching breaker should be safe, refeed that side of the duplex with a new 100 amp service. It’s winter man, get that electric heat running!
I disagree that cause only part of it is arching it’s still safe that equipment is compromised plain and simple

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Say he does nothing and the building burns and kills people who is gonna be at fault for not red tagging that I’m sure his insurance company will agree at the very least if he turns it off and walks away it’s not on him. Sometimes being the professionals we are means making uncomfortable decisions for people who don’t know better

·
Registered
Electrician
1,455 Posts
Say he does nothing and the building burns and kills people who is gonna be at fault for not red tagging that I’m sure his insurance company will agree at the very least if he turns it off and walks away it’s not on him
I would write it up, one copy to the unfriendly HO, one copy to the building inspector/fire marshal. As long as the power is removed from the known bad side of the can it’s all you can do, can’t force the people into something, just have to report it.

·
Magic Smoke Remover
1,164 Posts
You could have a uni-pak off eBay in a week, tell your side he’s gotta pay for it, tell the other side nothing, have the poco shut it down and swap it quick when it comes in

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
This sounds like a safety issue for both you and your customer. You need to explain to both of them that there is a high risk of fire if the work does not proceed. If the two neighbors can't get together to let you proceed then it's time to walk away. You don't need to be opening that up live.

Tim

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
1,202 Posts
do these 2 families each own half of a single building or is there a landlord renting to them?
if they each own half, then they should not share electrical equipment, but have their own

21 - 40 of 51 Posts