Electrician Talk banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
I am 100 % retired now. Enjoying life :)
2,223 Posts
1) Have both tenants relocate into a hotel while you make the repair.
2) The owner of the duplex should agree to pay for that. No Brainer
3) If step 1 or 2 is not an option then don't do the work.
Why stick your neck out for something like this. How much money is it really worth to you.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
One building with 2 separate owners. It is very common to have a duplex meter/disconnect on the one building. The load side of the meter has the problem so with the meter removed and the opening blanked up there is no electricity going to the problem area of the equipment. The supply house just happened to have exactly what I need to replace the whole stack and tap box which they agreed is the way to go. Now I have to see if it fits in the location. Once I explained to the owner what the issues are we are all on the same page. Now for the power company. For now the one side was winterized and the people are staying with friends.
Thanks to all for the input. I was worried about materials and timing the most.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
How ignorant or stupid can people be? Apparently very much. I went to replace the duplex meter stack today but when the second homeowner saw the size of the new equipment she said no. She did not want "that ugly big box" on the back of the house. It is located on the wall between the two dwelling units. They built decks and fences in front of the equipment. She complained to the HOA and people came out to see what is going on. It is now 10:30 and the woman with no electricity is in tears. It wasn't until the HOA secretary called and said 4 other units in the complex had problems and one went on fire. The HOA knows that eventually all will need to be replaced so there is potentially a lot of work. I finally got permission to open up the equipment and it was the 125 amp breaker that was cooked. Everything else looked fine. I replaced it with a 100 amp breaker and now I am waiting for the two homeowners to work things out. Crazy people are holding the sane ones hostage.

·
Read Only
790 Posts
Great thread, good learning for biz owners

A very wise contractor once told me
"Being an EC is a great way to make a living, as long as people aren't involved"

Ours is an interesting trade, the electrically illiterate make infrastructure decisions
Smh

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Great thread, good learning for biz owners

A very wise contractor once told me
"Being an EC is a great way to make a living, as long as people aren't involved"

Ours is an interesting trade, the electrically illiterate make infrastructure decisions
Smh
being a small ec sucks. being a bigger ec sucks with more money. lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
Reminds me of some past projects with homeowners. My bother was one case in point. He cut down a tree in his yard and dropped it on the utility line running along the side of his property. It busted off his wooden 4x4 service riser that was 9' tall, and pulled down the utility transformers and lines feeding the neighborhood. The service drop ran across his driveway and was less than 8' clearance above the drive at the lowest point. You could grab the drop from standing in the drive, and they parked underneath it.

I went over to put up a couple rigid service risers, one power and one data, while the line crew reset the pole transformers and restrung the lines to the neighborhood. While I was working the brother was working over the line crew, trying to get them to write up the job as storm damage and avoid the damage billing. I put up full length 2" rigid sticks to get as much clearance over the drive as possible, so if they ever brought in a moving truck or van, they wouldn't rip it down again.

I tried talking him into changing the 12 ckt fuse panel, that had about 20 circuits in it, half of them coming in through the front with the cover removed. He said he couldn't afford the panel cost. The wife pulls up from work in her Volvo and starts bitching, "what the fluck are those periscopes doing sticking up out of my house for, those look like shift, that needs to come down..." Needless to say, that was the last time I volunteered to go over and help him out.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts