Electrician Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I am a marine/industrial electrician but I'm helping out my boss salvage an electrical project at his home. He hired an electrical contractor (i'm using that term loosely) to wire a large pool house, complete with outdoor kitchen, 2 ton A/C system etc. The panel they installed in the pool house is a 200 amp main breaker panel which is fine. I'm calling this a pool house but it's more like a house house. Anyway the main service for the home is 400 amp and roughly 300 feet from the pool house panel (in wire length I meant). The main 400 amp breaker has double lugs already on it. I want to tap off those lugs to feed the 200 amp main breaker in the pool house. I'm under the impression that I will probably need to install an enclosed 200amp breaker next to the 400 amp panel in order to protect the panel feed out to the pool house. Does this sound correct? I know there are tap rules for 25' or more where I wouldn't need to add the enclosed breaker and honestly I would prefer not to go through the extra trouble but I also don't want any code issues. The tap rule is a little fuzzy on this subject in my opinion. Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Rhino78

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
read 240.21. the tap rules really aren't that complicated. you didn't provide quite enough info, but it sounds like you can use the tap rule to the disco, and yes, the feeder needs to be protected.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hello everyone!
I am a marine/industrial electrician but I'm helping out my boss salvage an electrical project at his home. He hired an electrical contractor (i'm using that term loosely) to wire a large pool house, complete with outdoor kitchen, 2 ton A/C system etc. The panel they installed in the pool house is a 200 amp main breaker panel which is fine. I'm calling this a pool house but it's more like a house house. Anyway the main service for the home is 400 amp and roughly 300 feet from the pool house panel (in wire length I meant). The main 400 amp breaker has double lugs already on it. I want to tap off those lugs to feed the 200 amp main breaker in the pool house. I'm under the impression that I will probably need to install an enclosed 200amp breaker next to the 400 amp panel in order to protect the panel feed out to the pool house. Does this sound correct? I know there are tap rules for 25' or more where I wouldn't need to add the enclosed breaker and honestly I would prefer not to go through the extra trouble but I also don't want any code issues. The tap rule is a little fuzzy on this subject in my opinion. Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Rhino78
Welcome to the forum Rhino78...:thumbup:

You should start a thread in the electrical section with this question so you will get more reply's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts