Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im looking for a good explanation about Motor Starters , specifically about how to connect start stop , maybe a diagram with explanation of the contacts of Motor Starter in it .
Google or youtube didn't helped, there is a lot of diagrams to be honest but not much with explanations and even less videos .

Thank you :thumbsup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi all,

Im looking for a good explanation about Motor Starters , specifically about how to connect start stop , maybe a diagram with explanation of the contacts of Motor Starter in it .
Google or youtube didn't helped, there is a lot of diagrams to be honest but not much with explanations and even less videos .

Take a look at this one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi all,

Best resource for something like that is an UGLYs book. Very good diagrams of start/stops and basic starters.

If you're just starting out in this area, it's a great investment.

And remember, a starter is just a relay with overload protection. Don't over think it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have 3 wires to start/stop if there is only 1 start/stop u will need to jump the per from the stop to the start. 3 wires 1 goes to stop as constant 120v other side of stop jumps to start at that same point that wire runs back to the normally open side of aux. The third wire runs back to coil to make it change pozitions . Normally the net runs thru the overloads unless there is a surge suppressor installed. If so u have to run the 120 thru the ol or it will not kick out. Feel free to ask more ?s

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
You have 3 wires to start/stop if there is only 1 start/stop u will need to jump the per from the stop to the start. 3 wires 1 goes to stop as constant 120v other side of stop jumps to start at that same point that wire runs back to the normally open side of aux. The third wire runs back to coil to make it change pozitions . Normally the net runs thru the overloads unless there is a surge suppressor installed. If so u have to run the 120 thru the ol or it will not kick out. Feel free to ask more ?s
I have a question...

HUH?:laughing:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok well I never claimed to b a teacher just trying to help guess if u look at uglys book I could get mine and try to explain better.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ok well I never claimed to b a teacher just trying to help guess if u look at uglys book I could get mine and try to explain better.
there was no problem. with your explanation I followed it up.I think for someone starting out like the OP might see the explanation as too wordy but if he actually uses pen and paper he will get. it

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a question...

HUH?:laughing:
Lol I hear him it is difficult to explain...I'll try and re iterate what he said..

This is for a 3 wire momentary stop start

FROM THE STOP START bring 3 #4 THHN wires to the MOTOR STARTER, LABEL them at both ends 1,2,3.

@ THE STOP/START bring wire #1 to the stop button terminal. bring a JUMPER from the second stop terminal, to the START terminal, take wire #2 and place wire #2 in same terminal with the JUMPER on the start terminal, now take wire #3 place it under the other start terminal.

@ THE MOTOR STARTER:
the motor start should have numbers raised on the plastic to identify the terminal screw numbers, in that event you would take WIRE #1 for your LINE (hot conductor feeding stop start circuit)
WIRE #2 would go to #2 terminal and WIRE NUMBER 3 would go to 3 terminal. At least that's how mine was from Square D.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi all,

Also motor starters are used because the components inside not only monitor the current but the thermal temperature of the windings.

There's "heaters" that are used in most motor starters which are made of 2 little strips of metal that when in use and drawing current they heat up to the same temperature as the windings. When they heat up too much it means the motors being overworked and drawing excessive current. So the 2 metal pieces naturally seperate and as they cool they re - form to make contact.

Also they don't make breakers in 2.5a 5.6a, etc, and motors are very sensitive to overvoltage and overcurrent conditions, and range from a variety of amerages so company's make special equipment like these, where you can very precisely protect equpment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,735 Posts
Hi all,

Ok I'll let you in on a secret. The diagram for a 3 wire stop/start is printed on a label inside of the motor starter cover.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok I'll let you in on a secret. The diagram for a 3 wire stop/start is printed on a label inside of the motor starter cover.
I've never seen a wiring diagram on the inside of a starter. But I've also only been in 1 facility that used start/stop stations. Everywhere I work, we use JOAs with the auto circuit going to a triac fired by the DCS.

But start/stops are simple once you understand the function of aux contacts....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Best resource for something like that is an UGLYs book. Very good diagrams of start/stops and basic starters.

If you're just starting out in this area, it's a great investment.

And remember, a starter is just a relay with overload protection. Don't over think it.
Yep I have it already ))

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also motor starters are used because the components inside not only monitor the current but the thermal temperature of the windings.

There's "heaters" that are used in most motor starters which are made of 2 little strips of metal that when in use and drawing current they heat up to the same temperature as the windings. When they heat up too much it means the motors being overworked and drawing excessive current. So the 2 metal pieces naturally seperate and as they cool they re - form to make contact.

Also they don't make breakers in 2.5a 5.6a, etc, and motors are very sensitive to overvoltage and overcurrent conditions, and range from a variety of amerages so company's make special equipment like these, where you can very precisely protect equpment.
Thanks,nice explanation )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi all,

Try these PDFs by Square D.
http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Motor Control/0140BR9102.pdf

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Machine Control/0140CT9201.pdf

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very true. Multiple schematics as well, for a 2 wire, 3 wire, etc. It was very easy to look at the diagram and complete the inatall, verifying my work with ugly reference book made me confident. Ugly ' s electrical reference books are the bees knees, not even trying to "push" their product, I obviously have no affiliation with them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts