Electrician Talk banner

Need help with running a 4 wire range line..... archaeologist welcome ;)

448 4
As you may have guessed I am trying to run this line into a 4 throw 60-80's split bus panel.

Have a few questions, for one the breaker I would be running to is the second from the top left side, it is already empty and was previously used for an electric range, just bought the house so not sure when.

A bit skittish about working on an always hot bus, but that is not my primary concern.

As you can tell from the pictures there seems to be another major line coming in from the bottom tapped into the mains (lines coming from the actual electrical les outside) on top. This concerns me because I cannot follow this line without some wall demo to see where this is going to, obviously it is hot because it is connected with the mains, but it has no breaker.

There are two subpanels, one for the water heater and another for the garage and breezeway. I am hoping it is powering one of those, a line like that with no kind of breaker seems a bit dangerous.

Anyways, as you can also see the massive neutral strand at the bottom is touching the grounding wire, is this a problem, would that make it choose the ground instead of the neutral for return?

And speaking of the ground, I went outside, found the ground rod going into the ground and there is nothing attached, this leads me to believe that the ground coming out of the breaker box may not even be attached to anything for proper emergency grounding.

Automotive tire Wood Electrical wiring Electricity Cable

Gas Machine Control panel Electronic component Electrical supply

Grey Gas Composite material Screw

Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply Electronic device Wood

Cable Gas Electricity Electrical wiring Audio equipment
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,525 Posts
You have registered an account and have posted on Electriciantalk.com.
This forum is dedicated to and provided for electrical professionals. This was clearly outlined in the registration process. The forum rules do not allow for DIY membership or questions and subsequent use of the site.

Who's Allowed to Join ElectricianTalk.com

Working with electricity and electrical systems is dangerous if not performed by a licensed and knowledgeable electrician.

We strongly advise you to contact a professional in your local area.
If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.diychatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you.
You will also find a host of other DIY home improvement categories as well.
This thread has been closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.