Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a standard 200amp overhead service. Comes into meter pan and from the meter pan we ran a 6' of 2"pvc into house to service entrance rated transfer switch. Out of switch we ran SER cable to panel. Inspector said we can't run that far in house as per code. I know if it was SEU cable we have to be the nearest point of entry in home. If wires are physically protected in thought you run as far as you want. We have been doing this for years and never had any problems in other towns. I am looking to find what code applies to this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have a standard 200amp overhead service. Comes into meter pan and from the meter pan we ran a 6' of 2"pvc into house to service entrance rated transfer switch. Out of switch we ran SER cable to panel. Inspector said we can't run that far in house as per code. I know if it was SEU cable we have to be the nearest point of entry in home. If wires are physically protected in thought you run as far as you want. We have been doing this for years and never had any problems in other towns. I am looking to find what code applies to this.
Must be a local code. Where I am from ahj allows 10 feet of unprotected (as in fused) conductors entering a dwelling.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
...I know if it was SEU cable we have to be the nearest point of entry in home. If wires are physically protected in thought you run as far as you want. ...
The NEC does not care what type of protection is used for the service conductors. If they enter the building, the code rule requires that the service disconnect, be "nearest the point of entry" of the service conductors.
230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.
Some local area enforce the code as written, others allow specific lengths of service conductors to be installed in the building. There are local rules that specify a permitted length. My city permits 10', but all service conductors, inside or outside, are required to be in rigid steel conduit.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Your transfer switch probably does not gave OCP for the wiring downstream.
Out here the general rule is 5' unless in conduit under 3" of concrete.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
I get the impression that you are implying that PVC gives some sort of protection. If Sch40 that give no more protection in the eyes of the code than SEU. But as Don states, the NEC does not care what kind of protection or cable is used. It's "nearest the point of entry".

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
He says it's service rated. All the ones I've seen and installed that meant it had a main breaker.
6' in does not sound like too much IMO.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
He says it's service rated. All the ones I've seen and installed that meant it had a main breaker.
6' in does not sound like too much IMO.
I have seen service rated transfer switches without OCP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.