Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got a switch for my compressor as the contacts in the pressure switch were arcing and burning out.
I have seen the way to wire most switches in this manner,
line in at top
load out at bottom
and pressure switch between line 1 and A1.

but my switch has two jumpers from factory and im not sure if I should remove them or not.
one jumper wire goes from L1 to 96
one jumper goes from A to 95

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Circuit component Computer hardware Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Electrical wiring

Ill put some pics , if anyone can advise me on weather or not to use the jumpers and where to insert the pressure switch wires I would be very grateful.

thanks a bunc
T

Attachments

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
3,437 Posts
A lot of contactors come with a factory jumper between the coil and the overload relay so you just wire control power to the other side of the coil and neutral to the overload relay. In your case just series the pressure switch to the side of the coil with no connection.

Google “Schneider wiring diagram book” and “Allen Bradley wiring diagram book”. These will be PDF about 45 pages each. Study these. I’m not saying to buy product from either one but nearly every single possible starter circuit you will ever need is in these two free books. Cutler Hammer does one too but not nearly as detailed.

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
3,606 Posts
Is there a drawing that came with it?

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,327 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply.
So I leave the jumpers in?
and which connections are the coil?
You missed the small detail where you have a start and stop button on the front cover
Press start and that closes the black switch on the side of the contactor. Contactor closes also at the same time 13 to 14 (closes) latching the contactor in
To stop press red which is the overload test button which unlatches the contactor

A and B are the coil
95-96 is the overload switch

No great way to wire this while still having the option of using the start and stop buttons.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,523 Posts
You missed the small detail where you have a start and stop button on the front cover

No great way to wire this while still having the option of using the start and stop buttons.
The start/stop button/switch goes before the pressure switch in series.
Wire as a 3 wire control if start is momentary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah I see,
Its not exactly the right switch for my application. I should have bought a switch without a start/stop button.
I am only trying to get the high current off of the contacts in the pressure switch so that the switch wont burn out again. the contacts arc after heavy use and then weld themseves shut.
I dont need the on/off switch on the magnetic switch really. I just want the pressure switch to have low current.

I am still not sure where to insert the pressure switch...
seems that I can press the start button and the pressure switch will go after the button and still turn the compressor on and off without the box being switched off by the stop button? or should I just buy a different box....

thanks again
T

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,436 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area. If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs. Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/ We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.