Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What height is most common for a counter top receptacle...above counter...above finished floor? I have multiple people differing with me. I thought I knew everything. What looks best to the eye.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
How about 48" off floor or 10-12" off counter top? There's no set rule in my opinion, it depends on the kitchen design. How high are the upper cabinets above the counter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Everyone around here does 47"-48" to top of box, at rough in. So these numbers would be slightly less above finished floor (sub floor + flooring). Same height is generally used for all switches.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Counter top off finished floor plus splash. 36" plus 6" or if a full splash granite or tile design we tend to go lower then center. Watch for tile designs and borders.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I usually do 46" to center. That will typically put the box centered between top of counter and bottom of uppers. You have to account for the floor finish, so 46" AFF

·
Registered
988 Posts
ponyboy said:
I'd say anywhere from 42-48" to top, bottom, or center
42 to bottom could get you in trouble if they don't fully tile the slash. Counter height is usually 36 if they do a 6" splash your plate won't sit flat.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
220-221"

You have like 20" to work with so it's not usually an issue. wherever they land

The 48 to bottom measurement helps the uniformity (if that's where you put switches) and makes it easier for the rockers.

·
Estwing magic
26,419 Posts
What about your backsplash? Receptacles look chitty if they're half on the tile and half on drywall. Otherwise, 45" to center.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I always do 43" to bottom, hasn't caused any issues yet until they decide to add raised breakfast peninsula .
(cabinet makers grrrr!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have always done all mine at 46" to the top. I also do all my switches the same that way they are the same if they end up close enough to notice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How can you accurately go by center of the box? There's no edge to measure up to like the top and bottom. On roughs, a guy I worked for years ago used to use a "cut stick" at 42" and rest the box on top of it before nailing, that way the upper boxes would all be the exact same height. A hammer usually works pisser for the low outlets, then use same hammer to send the nails home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.