Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping out a long time friend with a small residential job. At best my residential work is RUFF I just cannot get a good job with romex even if you held a gun on me.

That being said what is the best way to ground device boxes. I understand about the 6" conductor rule but if want to pigtail a ground can I cut the grounds shorter than 6" and bring a 6" pigtail. If I can't then I am having problems getting everything folded back in the box.

Need some help thanks .

LC

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Helping out a long time friend with a small residential job. At best my residential work is RUFF I just cannot get a good job with romex even if you held a gun on me.

That being said what is the best way to ground device boxes. I understand about the 6" conductor rule but if want to pigtail a ground can I cut the grounds shorter than 6" and bring a 6" pigtail. If I can't then I am having problems getting everything folded back in the box.

Need some help thanks .

LC

It just takes practice,every box that is daisy chained I make up the splices with the pig tails with plenty of slack.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of the time when I do residential I use the deepest box that I can fit on the stud. I also use plastic boxes unless the 2X4 is turned flat and then I use a 4X4 with a plaster ring.

Thanks LC

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
There's a number of schools that dress a resi box off LoneOne

One is the long Grounding conductor looped from device to device out of a green wire nut

The other is the crimped method to individual Ging conductors to each device

In either scenario, how the wiring is folded into the box is a study in technique in of itself

I use the 'accordion' method , which works well for me, others use the 'loop' method, etc

Just think about it, it'll come to you

~CS~

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
i used to accordion, now i loop. i leave all my EGC long, loop them in the back of the box first and then hit the last long ECG with the greenie.

Either way, bloody scuffed up hands by the end of the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.