Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor is wired for 3phase 250volt. Customer would like it to work on single phase.

The motor label configuration looks like what I got looking at the motor wiring, so this leads me to believe I could change something in that terminal block instead? I dunno, I'm at a loss here. :001_huh:

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Sell him a 3 phase service.

Maybe some kind of single phase to three phase converter but I don't know how those work or if they are any good.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the wiring config is for 3 phase 240v and 3phase 480...sh*t.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Yeah, plus it looks like it is only one component of a system? - Your 3rd. pic.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The terminal block sends all those wires to a contactor and on/off, forward/reverse switches...it's an industrial paper shredder.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
You can't enter change 3 phase and single phase.But that three phase motor(in the picture) is dual voltage you'll have to look at the motor specs to see if motor voltages falls into the voltages you have in your building electrical system .you speak german? Lol

Perhaps a buck boost transformer if you have the correct system will give you the correct voltage for the motor.
Some of the other guys know more about this stuff than I do ,I used to rewind motors but I've forgotten a lot.:(:laughing::laughing:

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Sell him a phase converter. Install a single phase fed inverter on the 3 phase loads or replace the motors with single phase ones. Those are your only options.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jeebus, after a quick search I found static, cnc phase, rotary...sheesh.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
If it is just one small motor an inverter might be the best option.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
BuzzKill

Are you saying one leg of single phase, or two legs?

Maybe I am missing something. Plus, why would the customer want to?

Just curious? :thumbsup:

Borgi

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
The terminal block sends all those wires to a contactor and on/off, forward/reverse switches...it's an industrial paper shredder.
I worked on a single phase motor for a shredder, and the forwards and reverse controls for 3 phase are already in place with interlocks. You have to know what you are doing to replace with a single phase that has the same controls.

And with a Vfd, you would have to control this to the Vfd and not the motor (I think)

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I worked on a single phase motor for a shredder, and the forwards and reverse controls for 3 phase are already in place with interlocks. You have to know what you are doing to replace with a single phase that has the same controls.
oh damn it that would have to get rewired as well?:blink:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts