Electrician Talk banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,346 Posts
Can we help you estamate the job too?
:thumbup::thumbup::laughing::laughing:
Can we help you with spelling? :thumbsup:

Also if he disconnects the forward and reverse starters to use for his VFD, there may be aux contacts that close when the starters close, that need to work. Some controls are also wired into the control circuit for safety devices like the access doors. That's why I said to look at the schematic first.
Exactly. He cannot just stick the VFD in and expect all the peripheral equipment to work. Push buttons ect.....
Any and all operator control for the motor must be connected to the drive either directly or using some existing circuitry to make it work.

If you use a static phase converter the motor gets de rated by 1/3. So basically a 3hp motor becomes a 2hp motor. This may be a problem if the machine sees a heavy load. Vfd's are pretty cheap now days and most of the ones I've used, you can input single phase or three phase. Overloads are built into the vfd. Just program and go. I've done this on several occasions. Works very well.
I also lean towards the VFD. But only because I am familiar with them. Easy peasy.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,418 Posts
pete87 said:
I was wondering how reliable electronics are ? How long lasting ? I have never installed a VFD . Pete
If correctly sized, installed and you keep them, cool, clean, minimal start/stop and properly maintained then 10 to 15 years is what I've seen.

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
If correctly sized, installed and you keep them, cool, clean, minimal start/stop and properly maintained then 10 to 15 years is what I've seen.

Thanks Wirenuting , I worry about brownouts and dirty power and surges .

So , you could use a Rotary Phase Converter at 3hp or oversized to 5hp and out last the VFD .

Pete

41 - 44 of 44 Posts