Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer has 2 480V grinder pumps fed from a 50A 480 breaker. Recently, a pump failed, tripping the feeder breaker, and flooding the basement before they realized it. He requested a remote located light (possibly flashing) that would illuminate when that pump breaker was OFF or tripped. Ideas? It is fed from an electrical room with close access to 120/240 panels also. Siemens equipment.
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've encountered the same type of request. A "possible" solution could be using e-light electronics and batteries to power a strobe when power to the t-leads fails. There are pre-packaged units that do this or you could make your own with a 277 e-light and some custom wiring. That way you could monitor each motor independent of the feeder.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How do these work? Is it all in one breaker? Do the contacts use a separate power source and mechanically close when the breaker opens?
The ones i have used come as a kit you install in the breaker, it just adds a small microswitch that is activated the by the breaker throw (NO and NC contacts are usually provided). You may also be able to buy a breaker with it pre-installed, but when i tried they just sent me the breaker i already had and a kit, so every manufacturer will be different.

Another way to do the same thing with off the shelf parts is to install a relay with the coil at line voltage in paralell with the load side of the breaker that has a seperate power source on the switched contact, which you would wire through the NC contact. That way when you lose power through that breaker, the beacon (AB makes ones that flash and sound if you want that) will turn on when the relay opens.

The only issue with both those types of systems is that it wont alert you in case of a tripped overload. You could add some relay logic using the auxilurary overload contacts that can also illuminate the beacon independently of the line loss monitoring relay (run the independent power source through the NO contacts of the overload relay contacts in paralell with your line loss relay output)

Current monitors alone wont work in that situation either assuming both pumps aren't running constantly. The best way to use something like that to solve the problem would be some sort of picoPLC (smart relay) that can have the smarts to alert to a "fail to start" condition.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
How do these work? Is it all in one breaker? Do the contacts use a separate power source and mechanically close when the breaker opens?
Depending on the breaker type its either an option or an external add on to the breaker. Some manufacturers offer auxiliary contacts that operate with the breaker or alarm contracts that operate when the breaker trips. You'd wire it up just like any switch, then hit a strobe or beacon.

Would this be installed in-line of the feeder?
You'd have to tap, fuse and mount a separate enclosure for the relay if you don't want to mess around in the pump panel.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Whats wrong with a simple power monitor off the breaker ?
run power from the load side of the breaker,
run it to a contactor coil.
wire a lamp onto the N / O position,
that way if the breaker trips, contactor coil loses power
contactor becomes closed and lamp is on !

easy pleasy !
what do i win ?

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later