Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have two 200A manual transfer switches mounted on a wall with PVC sleeved 4/0 AL SER coming out right below. Space is limited and the other side of the wall is exterior brick ( but under a porch, so I can't come up high enough to go directly into the back of the switches.) I need it to look good. I thought about a trough and nipples, but if I am reading the code right right, an angle pull requires the box to have 6X the conduit size from where the conduit enters to the opposite wall (plus the trade size of the other conduit in the row) putting me at 18" deep on the trough! Thought about LBs, but it would be tough to make them line up perfect through the wall. What would u do?

Attachments

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I'm going to have two 200A manual transfer switches mounted on a wall with PVC sleeved 4/0 AL SER coming out right below. Space is limited and the other side of the wall is exterior brick ( but under a porch, so I can't come up high enough to go directly into the back of the switches.) I need it to look good. I thought about a trough and nipples, but if I am reading the code right right, an angle pull requires the box to have 6X the conduit size from where the conduit enters to the opposite wall (plus the trade size of the other conduit in the row) putting me at 18" deep on the trough! Thought about LBs, but it would be tough to make them line up perfect through the wall. What would u do?
I would do what it takes to get it done right,in bold above.

How far off of code worthy will it be?

Stretching the code a little is sometimes necessary .:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HARRY304E said:
I would do what it takes to get it done right,in bold above. How far off of code worthy will it be? Stretching the code a little is sometimes necessary .:) .
I didn't actually figure conduit fill for the sleeved SER- just wanted the extra protection under the porch and into the transfer switches. That would be the only questionable code issue, but I am sure the inspector here will be good with it. A 2" LB is gonna be TIGHT though.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I didn't actually figure conduit fill for the sleeved SER- just wanted the extra protection under the porch and into the transfer switches. That would be the only questionable code issue, but I am sure the inspector here will be good with it. A 2" LB is gonna be TIGHT though.
Rubber mallet ...:whistling2::laughing::thumbup:

·
415 Posts
Looking in the 2008 book, 314.28 (A) (2) allows you to use the exception for an entry on the side opposite of a removable cover. In the case of 4/0 that would be 4"so a 4" deep gutter would work.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MWayne said:
Looking in the 2008 book, 314.28 (A) (2) allows you to use the exception for an entry on the side opposite of a removable cover. In the case of 4/0 that would be 4"so a 4" deep gutter would work.
just what I was looking for

1 - 6 of 6 Posts