Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what size transformer to use on a store front sign....problem is there is nothing on the sign that tells what the VA' s are..can any one help?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Call you local neon sign shop, they will know the answer.

Neon transformers can be lethal so you really need to know what you are doing.

In general though, neon transformers are sized by the total footage of the connected tubing.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Call you local neon sign shop, they will know the answer.

Neon transformers can be lethal so you really need to know what you are doing.

In general though, neon transformers are sized by the total footage of the connected tubing.
Ive never worked on or around neon signs, but ive heard the same. Dont they operate off a really really high voltage?

Reactions: guest

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
some are as hi as 15 kv @ 30ma , then some are 60ma.i belive they go as low as 5 kv. i have a large collection that i like to make jacob's ladders out of. btw , these are the non gfi type & the old magnetic type.the electronic ones are no good for this.the old one's are very dangerous!:eek::whistling2:

·
Stlchuck
31 Posts
Neon transformers are sized according to the overall length of the tubing, the diameter of the tubing and what kind of gas it's pumped with,(usually straight neon gas or a neon and argon mix with a small amount of mercury added).The secondary voltage varies depending on the load, from as low as 2,000 volts, up to 15,000.
30 milliamps is the most common current output, but some are 60 milliamp, which is used for brighter tubes, but uses twice the power and cuts the tube life down considerably.
A "luminous tube footage chart"- http://www.franceformer.com/products-neon/install instr/Luminous_Tubing_Chart.pdf is one way to estimate correct transformer size, however you would have to measure the tubes and identify the gas and the tubing diameter, easier said than done.
France transformer makes a series of "servicemaster" self regulating transformers, one that covers the larger range of 9,000 to 15,000 volts, and another that covers 5,000 to 9,000 volts. They are available in either 30 or 60 milliamp.You would only need to guess which range you needed, and I would stick with 30ma to be on the safe side. I am pretty sure Transco and Allanson also have self regulating versions.

Are the old transformers missing, or the labels not readable?

·
Premium Member
18,556 Posts
I need to know what size transformer to use on a store front sign....problem is there is nothing on the sign that tells what the VA' s are..can any one help?
If you know the diameter, length and color of the neon, t
A place like Tubelite can size it for you.
Might be some on line calculators to help you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts