Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one, My names James i work with Lamp Crafters of daytona beach and we mostly do vintage lighting restoration, and my boss seems to have tried to get me in over my head but i know how to research and ask for help when i need it, so here i am asking for some advice, :) a good client of ours has out door neon lights on his building there about 30 years old and have had multiple transformers replaced over time but this time he called us, and i looked at it and am at a loss as to the cause of the problem, he has about 30-40 feet of purple tube that is only half lit and vary week looking compared to the rest of the building, i have replaced the transformer with an exact brand, voltage, amperage, and model as the one i found all rusted out on the roof (we live on the beach nothings safe from rust) but no luck, now none of the neon's light on the circuit, i have 120V in and a full 15kV 30mA out, I replaced the system exactly as it was wired in to begin with (black to black white to white green to green and even hooked the neon feed wires to the same terminals as they old transformer, and now i'm lost as this is the first neon job i'v been sent on (i think its a test as this was not covered in school any where i can remember) any one have any suggestion? as in other post normally we would send this to a sign company but the clients P!$$30 them all off and they refuse to go work for him any more (dont see how hes the best client i have and have never had an issue in the last 5 years with him) but HELP i'm lost and stuck ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
because you are talking about a neon in harsh conditions i would look for corrosion in the leads .
a weak and or half lit tubes points out to poor conduction in the leads (anode and cathode).
without being there to see it closely myself this is the only answer i can give.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i'v gone over the whole circuit checking the connection from tube to tube and dont see any "Bad" corrosion (ill double check), i also cleaned the bird poo off of all the tubes, i'm almost to the point i feel that the gas in one or more tubes may have gone "flat" as someone else suggested in town, but since i'm an LED tech more then anything, i dont know the full science behind the electrical transfer thru the gas, all tho the web has been giving me a good crash course so far but still not getting the answer i need apparently or i wouldn't be here asking you nice people

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
heres a wiki on neon lights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Lights

the gas doesn't actually go flat as it is a small amount injected into the tube after it has had all the air evacuated from it.
the high voltage plasma arc ionizes the gas producing light
some tubes may have cracked and air sucked into them as this would cause a tube to fail to light
hope this helped

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You said you had "the full 15kv at 30ma out"
How did you measure this ?
Measuring the voltage is easy enough,
But how did you measure the current ?
:whistling2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts