Electrician Talk banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
12,212 Posts
How sure are you its the neutral bar? I hear noisy old breakers every so often. Even on a couple brand new breakers I've heard some scary noises coming from inside. I would consider a mechanic's stethoscope if I was chasing noises like that.. though the thought of probing a live panel with a metal stick tied to my head makes me pause. Is there such thing as a non conductive electrician's stethoscope?
Before they made those mechanic's stethoscopes, the trick was to hold a broomstick to the thing, and hold the other end of the stick to your ear.

If you push on it with a wooden chicken stick while it's humming, you should at least hear a change in tone.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
How sure are you its the neutral bar? I hear noisy old breakers every so often. Even on a couple brand new breakers I've heard some scary noises coming from inside. I would consider a mechanic's stethoscope if I was chasing noises like that.. though the thought of probing a live panel with a metal stick tied to my head makes me pause. Is there such thing as a non conductive electrician's stethoscope?
Damn sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,725 Posts
If it’s a long stick style neutral bar, is it the bar itself, or the panel steel “oil canning”? I would put in a couple screws through the panel tub and into the backer to tighten up and maybe warp the steel out of the resonant state it’s accidentally in.

·
Registered
IBEW 6 volts to lightning bolts
1,182 Posts
If it’s a long stick style neutral bar, is it the bar itself, or the panel steel “oil canning”? I would put in a couple screws through the panel tub and into the backer to tighten up and maybe warp the steel out of the resonant state it’s accidentally in.
If the panel doesn’t need to be bonded, disconnect the neutral bar mounting hardware from the back box and see if the sound goes away. If it does you could put some more fish paper between the mounting legs and the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 44 of 44 Posts