Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys carry a neutral to 240 V Loads, like Ranges and clothes dryers for the controls, to keep the current off of the bare ground? Just interested in your opinions on this, thanks.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
It has been required for many code cycles-- 2005 I believe required a neutral and a equipment grounding conductor.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Do you guys carry a neutral to 240 V Loads, like Ranges and clothes dryers for the controls, to keep the current off of the bare ground? Just interested in your opinions on this, thanks.
Ranges and clothes dryers typically are not 240V circuits, they are 120/240V circuits.

So, to answer your original question, no, I don't carry a neutral to a 240V load, but I do carry a neutral to a 120/240V load, in addition to a bonding means (and keep the two isolated).

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the serious responses guys, everyone else, wtf! If you would look it was 3 in the morning after a long day when I made that post, I apologize every word and term wasn't exactly accurate......I've never had to look that up, I'm in industrial!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I appreciate the serious responses guys, everyone else, wtf! If you would look it was 3 in the morning after a long day when I made that post, I apologize every word and term wasn't exactly accurate......I've never had to look that up, I'm in industrial!
ET can be a tough place, we get a lot of jacklegs, kooks and trolls. Many here have specialized and would be lost in a new electrical sector. Electrical terms are very specific and a small omission can mean everything.

You did say 240V which was correctly pointed out, does not require a neutral.

But, clothes dryers and ranges are typically 120/240 so feeding a new circuit to one without a neutral might open up a gun battle with an inspector, which would probably not be worth the effort. And, the next resident would have a problem and get a hit by an HO.

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
lectric_hand6855 said:
Wait, I thought you industrial guys knew everything. I thought a monkey could wire a dwelling?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.