Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who had a "home inspector" write him up for a 240V circuit that is using the neutral/white conductor as one of the phase conductors. He says it is marked with black phase tape. My question is if this is code compliant?

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
fxrguy said:
I have a friend who had a "home inspector" write him up for a 240V circuit that is using the neutral/white conductor as one of the phase conductors. He says it is marked with black phase tape. My question is if this is code compliant?
Home inspectors know **** about anything. Nothing wrong with that at all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Absolutely fine to do that.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
A white insulated wire is NOT a NEUTRAL until it is installed and marked accordingly if it is not used as a neutral conductor. Mark it as you want it to be.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I love home inspectors, they write up frivolous things constantly. There's nothing better then getting a phone call for retagging a wire or a double tapped breaker. They can make-up all the code they want, I'll just keep cashing checks.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I love home inspectors, they write up frivolous things constantly. There's nothing better then getting a phone call for retagging a wire or a double tapped breaker. They can make-up all the code they want, I'll just keep cashing checks.:thumbup:
They don't always make stuff up. A lot of the times they're mis-informed. They're not getting anything by "making stuff up."

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Whoa whoa. What about nothing under the size of #8 can be re-identified.

What size is the conductor?
Within a cable assembly it is compliant. I can't imagine running an 8/2 to a 20 amp A/C just to meet your rule. Or a 14/3 with a "extra" white wire doing nothing.
:whistling2:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.