Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I would imagine they had to remove the jaw assembly and turn it over to avoid having the meter read upside down, no? Shouldn't that have been a clue to the fact that MAYBE the box was upside down? :no:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I can think of is that this must have been a change out and the hack did it un-permiited and hot. No way the POCO would plug a glass into that can, even if it somehow passed an inspection.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that this must have been a change out and the hack did it un-permiited and hot. No way the POCO would plug a glass into that can, even if it somehow passed an inspection.
Don't be so sure. Often when utilities do mass change-outs to modern metering equipment, they do not use their own employees, but hire an outside company to do them piece rate with labor trained only in the task at hand. The guy who changed our water meter to an RF meter did NOT work for the water authority.

Reactions: SWDweller

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
No they wouldn't have had to do that. The "plug in" meter will seat either way....but still wtf?
Yeah, there was a guy who was fired from the poco up here a while back. When they still had analog meters. He had a bunch of seals and on the weekend when he would weld on the side, he would open socket and flip the meter around to reverse the kwh's. they caught him by checking the number on the seal.kinda like ferris buelers day off. I also knew another guy who's dad was also an electrician. When he got the house after his dad died he was changing it into a rental and decided to update some things. When he shut the main off the electric baseboard heaters stayed on. It was an overhead service. Instead of coming straight through the eve, it hit a j box in the attic, went to a panel for heaters in attic and from there, where it then went down to the meter socket. I for one thought it was ingenious. Free heat. Maybe some bonding issues to make it look legit. Still, ingenious. Don't nobody get any ideas. This is very illegal.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Yeah, there was a guy who was fired from the poco up here a while back. When they still had analog meters. He had a bunch of seals and on the weekend when he would weld on the side, he would open socket and flip the meter around to reverse the kwh's. they caught him by checking the number on the seal.kinda like ferris buelers day off. I also knew another guy who's dad was also an electrician. When he got the house after his dad died he was changing it into a rental and decided to update some things. When he shut the main off the electric baseboard heaters stayed on. It was an overhead service. Instead of coming straight through the eve, it hit a j box in the attic, went to a panel for heaters in attic and from there, where it then went down to the meter socket. I for one thought it was ingenious. Free heat. Maybe some bonding issues to make it look legit. Still, ingenious. Don't nobody get any ideas. This is very illegal.

Must be old , because any meters I have ever worked on will not turn in reverse !

I am not sure , but this is so for any I encountered .

Please tell me if I am wrong , I will gladly accept any different ideas on this subject ! :001_huh:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Must be old , because any meters I have ever worked on will not turn in reverse !

Please tell me if I am wrong , I will gladly accept any different ideas on this subject ! :001_huh:
Just what I heard. We do maintenance work on poco building and was shooting it with one of their employees.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

The second part is true though. I wouldn't have thought that up. I have an underground service, so I was thinking an underground vault in my yard.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

My dad used to do it in his shop from time to time back in the day. It didn't turn in reverse, it just didn't turn.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.