Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Just an air switch. Looks like there's a recloser mounted on top of that pole also.

Reactions: guest and Big John

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
You aren't too observant.Those are sectionalizers or air switches.
Yup. The high voltage version of a disconnect. Pretty neat how they work. Pain in the butt to get all the linkage lined up and such if you haven't done too many of them. I've only installed 1, and it was a real beeotch.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Yup. The high voltage version of a disconnect. Pretty neat how they work. Pain in the butt to get all the linkage lined up and such if you haven't done too many of them. I've only installed 1, and it was a real beeotch.
Yup, you better shed all the load you can, and slap those bitches in hard when you close the switch. I have about a 50/50 chance of getting all three phases to knife in nice on the first try.

In my area, the customer normally pays extra to get a ground operable air switch on their service. Getting more popular as people get more LOTO conscious.

Utilities use them also as sectionalizers. Often, you'll see them locked off at the middle of a loop feed, or on a run that can be double-end fed. Easy way to keep areas in power if a section goes down. Throw off certain air switches and close others.

Reactions: Bbsound and guest

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Yup, you better shed all the load you can, and slap those bitches in hard when you close the switch. I have about a 50/50 chance of getting all three phases to knife in nice on the first try.

In my area, the customer normally pays extra to get a ground operable air switch on their service. Getting more popular as people get more LOTO conscious.

Utilities use them also as sectionalizers. Often, you'll see them locked off at the middle of a loop feed, or on a run that can be double-end fed. Easy way to keep areas in power if a section goes down. Throw off certain air switches and close others.
It's the most cost-effective service disconnected means for places that are primary metered. We have quite a few primary-metered places around here, and most of them have no disconnect. They were installed back in the cowboy days. It makes the inspectors/utility nervous, but they can't force an existing place pay $20,000 to get one installed.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I'm always amazed those gang switches work as well as they do considering they get no maintenance and may sit rusting away for years between operations. We always have a spotter in place, and more than once I've slammed one open and heard "CHIT! CLOSE IT!" because only one knife released. :laughing:
It's the most cost-effective service disconnected means for places that are primary metered...
We still run into a lot of individual cutouts.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This one is just before the lines cross a river.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Big John said:
I'm always amazed those gang switches work as well as they do considering they get no maintenance and may sit rusting away for years between operations. We always have a spotter in place, and more than once I've slammed one open and heard "CHIT! CLOSE IT!" because only one knife released. :laughing: We still run into a lot of individual cutouts.
Really? The state inspector has a real hard on for simultaneous disconnecting of ungrounded conductors here.

I love throwing air disconnects. You never know what's going to happen. :laughing:

·
Registered
11,635 Posts

I do not believe you have ever operated one of these.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Really? The state inspector has a real hard on for simultaneous disconnecting of ungrounded conductors here.
I think they're grandfathered. All the ones I've seen have been old.
...I love throwing air disconnects. You never know what's going to happen. :laughing:
The funniest one I've ever seen was a grizzled old liney showing a new guy how to operate them. He goes "And what you don't want to do is this!" and opens it reaaaaaaaaal slowwwww. Thing is just showering sparks. I would've run but I was laughing too hard.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
I have see it in few places in France.

However as other mention do not run the sectionlizer handle slow just slam it hard and hope it do work as it supposed to be.

I have one stuck closed on me before it did rumble when I try to slam it open and I have to cycle it twice before the rest of the blades popped free. That was on 11 KV line to one of the industrial customer. ( they got a head up and dump all the loads before I hit it.)

Merci.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts